Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: modem problems please help

Red face modem problems please help

i have a packard bell computer and got a virus on it .so i soughted the problem out and had windows xp profesional put on my comp but since putting xp prof on i cannot connect to the internet it says i t cant find modem and pci ???

What are the systems hardware specs? CPU RAM etc.

What type and brand/model of modem are you using?
    Are the correct drivers installed?

Have you tried looking in 'Device Manager' to make see if any devices are displayed with a yellow mark over them?
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

You probably don't have the right drivers. WinXP uses different drivers than earlier versions of Windoze and some equipment simply won't work at all with it. You can check out the compatibility of components using a program within WinXP if I remember correctly, I think it is on the CD. Let us know what your system specs are, especially the info on your modem and whatever else isn't working, and we can probably help you find drivers if they exist....

And Welcome to
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

i have a yellow queston mark and its says pci modem not found

Try reinstalling the drivers for the modem.

When you went from XP home to XP Pro did you do a complete reinstall or an upgrade?
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

modem probs

Originally posted by pave_spectre
    Try reinstalling the drivers for the modem.

When you went from XP home to XP Pro did you do a complete reinstall or an upgrade?
    i reinstalled it

Unhappy

Good Luck, you'll need it. PB modem is most like non-standard device. May be linked to sound chip or other motherboard devices...

This means it needs the "exact driver file" for it to work. This means you cannot substitute a "generic" all purpose driver file.

If you were going to have any chance making it work, you would load the PB with all the old software (working correctly) and then try to "upgrade" to XP.

But i doubt that will work either....

I just recently had this same problem with a new 56K V.92 modem. If I remember right I went to device manager and where it had the yellow question mark for PCI Device I highlighted it and uninstalled it. Then I restarted W2K and at the restart it found a New PCI Device and installed it and then the modem was recognized and I ran the driver disk that came with the modem. Works fine now. A modem wasn't even listed, just PCI devices with the yellow question mark.
    Now, this may not work for you and I would surely wait for the more experienced guru's for an opinion before trying this. Mine was a trial and error type of thing. LG

Have you looked on the Packard Bell website to see if drivers for WinXP are available for download?
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Thread Information