Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Radio Tuner for Laptop/PC

Radio Tuner for Laptop/PC

I am looking for a radio tuner for a laptop/pc so I can listen to FM/AM radio on the PC - yes yes I know there are internet radio stations available now, but I do not always want to use up network bandwidth for listening to the radio. Are there any peripherals that accomplish this objective?

Pankaj Shroff
    Sandy, Utah.

Well, I think it depends in part on how much you are willing to pay. I have never heard of an exclusive radio tuner (of course that doesn't mean they don't exist ...), but many external TV tuners include FM tuners as well (e.g. <a href="http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm">here</a>. They seem a little pricey for listening to the radio, and they only do FM, but they are radio tuners.

John

I have never encountered a stand alone fm tuner, but quite a few of the usb tv tuners have an fm tuner as well.
    Do a froogle or pricewatch search for a "usb fm tv tuner". There's quite a few names to pick from on the market - Kworld, Asus, Aver, Prolink, Hauppauge, and Leadtek, - just to name the ones I just came across.

Not a very popular item. D-Link used to offer a stand alone usb FM tuner, but it is now discontinued.

You could do a search for one on ebay, the item was called D-Link DRSB-100.

Other than that, a usb TV/FM tuner like stated above is the only choice, unless you hooked a portable radio into your line in jack.

Thread Information