Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: DVD-Rom does'nt read dvd's

DVD-Rom does'nt read dvd's

Hello everybody,

I wonder why my dvd's are not being recognised by my dvd drive.It was all working fine before and now it aint.could somebody tell me what would be the fault?
    1.The dvd drive is listed in the devices.
    2.It reads cd's.
    3.I tried multiple DVD's.
    4.It spins and stops.
    5.I dont see any error messages.
    Any ideas??

thanks

One possibility is that some copy protection software is blocking you. Try running Spybot and/or AdAware to see if they find anything. You might want to run HijackThis and copy/paste the log here as well....
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Budfred,

I've run ad-aware and removed the files, still my dvd rom aint reading.well, here is the log file generated when i used hijackthis.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks once again

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.de/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.msn.de/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://search.msn.de/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0000CC75-ACF3-4cac-A0A9-DD3868E06852} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CE7C3CF0-4B15-11D1-ABED-709549C10000} - C:\WINDOWS\IEHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DirectX64] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DirectXset.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinDSL MTU-Adjust] WinDSL_MTU.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ] C:\Program Files\ICQ\Icq.exe -trayboot
    O4 - Startup: WinMySQLadmin.lnk = C:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Erinnerungen für Microsoft Works-Kalender.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: AOL 8.0 Tray-Symbol.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro (HKLM)

You want to kill this one:-
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DirectX64] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DirectXset.exe

Worm steph-A!

Whether it has any effect on your DVD drive is not at all certain, but you want it out!

Nothing else in your log to worry about, and no sign of any DRM c**p.
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

OK, I killed that one too.But, still i dont see my dvd's playing:-(

Any other suggestions?

@chinni,
    When you say that the drive spins and stops, do you mean that the drive is not auto playing? Did you try to play the dvd through the software? BTW what dvd software are you using? If you suspect it's autoplay, download and run Auto Play Repair Wizard a 77 kb file from Microsoft.
    ......_=_
    ....q(-_-)p
    .....'_) (_`
    ../__/ \ __\
    .._ (<_ / )_..
    (__\_\_|_/__)
    "Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield". Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama

shanmuga,

When I say it spins, I mean that I'm able to listen the sound as if the dvd drive is reading the dvd.After inserting the dvd and check at MyComputer, it does'nt show any dvd is being in the drive.If I insert a cd and check, it shows me the cd(name).
    I tried to play the dvd with the help of win-dvd software, the thing is, it cant find the dvd in the drive,huh!

Any other ideas??

Thanks once again

Okay chinni, need more info here. What os? name and model of the drive? How old it is? Do data dvd's function? Did you try cleaning the lens?

In the mean time go through the following steps to narrow down the problem.

If you right click the drive in device manager, does it show DVD properties and region settings? If so its not a driver issue, and it seems to be picked up as a DVD by the O/S.You can always try booting into safemode and deleting the ide channells to let XP reload them as well.

Be sure the DMA option is checked in the DVD drive's settings in the Windows Device Manager.
    ......_=_
    ....q(-_-)p
    .....'_) (_`
    ../__/ \ __\
    .._ (<_ / )_..
    (__\_\_|_/__)
    "Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield". Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama

this may be a red herring, but i am experiencing a similar problem with XP. I checked out the MS update site,it might be worth reading this http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Thread Information