Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: using system while installing. . .

Post using system while installing. . .

Hey people!

I was installing Age of Empires 2 while trying to surf the net at the same time. I noticed that my system started getting slower and choppy once every few seconds or so. Is this suppose to happen? Minimizing/maximizing ie5 windows also started to slow down as well as other programs while the installation continued. I have a 40gig hd with two partitions. 1 part about 5gig which has Win98SE running off it, and the other partition (35gig) where I was installing the game. Does this affects the computers performance in any way? Any thoughts?

Computer specs:
    AMD Duron 850@935MHz
    256 PC-133
    16MB Voodoo3 3000 AGP
    40gig Maxtor 5400rpm

Quote:I was installing Age of Empires 2 while trying to surf the net at the same time.

When installing ANY program all ather programs should be closed.
    Installing a program and surfing the internet both require resorces and the installation program is taking resorces away from your web browser and every time you open a web page it takes resorces away from the installation program. If your web browser takes all available resorces it can cause write errors corrupt files and cause the installation program to crash or worse yet crash your computer.

Also files that are in use can't be altered deleted or moved by the instalation program. I don't think Age of Empires 2 would need access to MSIE files but you never know they are both MS products
    It's not like you were installing netscape navigator and surfing with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING 4GB GDDR5 Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors
    Win 7 Ultimate X64

There are so many shared files it is hard to say...but it is best to shut down everything except what you are installing.

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information