Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Internet connection

Internet connection

Hello all,
    I am putting this here because it seems to be a part of my wireless problem and I'm not sure where else to put it

System and surrounding components specs:
    PIII, 1Gig
    128Mhz
    Windows XP Pro
    Linksys 802.11B wireless card
    Linksys 802.11B wireless router
    ISP-SBC/Yahoo
    IE5.0

Proplem:
    I have other machines on this network that have NO internet connection problems.
    The problem machine at one point had "Yahoo Parental Controls" installed and began to give me problems. I dissabled this and could once again get back on.
    I removed and reinstalled controls.
    Again had connection problems.
    Completely removed controls and still cannot access internet.

Attemped fixes:
    Access router- no problem
    Disconnect and reconnect to host thru router- still no internet.
    Removed and reinstalled network connection- no joy.
    Deleted all history and temp internet files- no joy.
    Talked to SBC/Yahoo- no clue
    Preparing to format and reinstall XP (if I can find my disk).

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Frank
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Have you run the security scans: spyware, antivirus?? If you have, it may be worthwhile to run HijackThis and copy/post the log here. If you do, make sure you download the newest version and actually install it to a folder if you want to be able to undo any changes later. Wait to fix anything until the experts look it over and give you advice... If you don't have the link, you can find it in mjc's security thread...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

I would try an alternative browser. This is to test if it was an Internet Explorer corruption or settings issue.(eliminates that whole section)
    Also attempt to ping the router gateway address to see if NIC issue.

Also look at this thread, there are diagnostic flowcharts that might help:charts thread

Thanks for the responses fellas.
    Antivirus- yes
    Spyware- no. Seems if I had spyware, it would want me to get on line plus I'm not real big on the whole "I'm afraid their milking my electronic cow for my personal info" thing.
    Can't D/L cause I can't get on line I suppose I could D/L to disk on another machine then install to this one.
    Alternate browser- not yet. I was just getting ready to start thinking about that.
    Ping router- yes, I can access router, adjust settings, disconnect and reconnect to ISP (new IP address shows up)
    Flow chart- not much help there. They are geared to identify system functionality problems (quite nicely too).
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Did you attempt IE 6 repair in XP yet?

Hmmm, theres a thought. I will try that tomorrow as my son is asleep right now and the machine with the bad attitude is in his room.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Uncle Crustys

bassman......a lot of times with spyware, it isn't just that it grabs your personal info......it is such poorly written crap that it commonly causes problems like you describe.

There is a fair amount of the the stuff that messes with the Winsock..and if the Winsock (LSP) gets damaged networking goes the way of the dinosaurs.

Also, I beleive, that the Parental Controls adds to the LSP. If that is the case then even an IE repair won't fix things.

Would you please download and run HijackThis (yes it is useful for more than just spyware diagnosis) and look for a section in the log labeled O10....if anything shows up in that section, copy into a post?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

DOOOOH!!
    Not sure how it happened but some items in Zone Alarm had been set to "Block".
    All is well now. Thanks for the responses.
    Frank

EDIT I was typing this when your post came up Mike. I will run Hijack though as I still have another problem with this machine. Thanks
    Uncle Crustys

Thread Information