Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: UPgrading Question

UPgrading Question

If I upgrade my mobo and processor, can I just plug my existing hardrives in and be able to boot my computer or will I have to reformat and re-install Win98 to get it up and running? I know I will have to have Bios recognize the drives but do I need a fresh start with the hard drives?

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Windows is generic until it configures itself to each motherboard. Each installation is specific to a particular motherboard.

With harddrives so cheap these days, what I would suggest is picking up a new harddrive also. Then, slave the old drives and extract from them any pertinent data.

However, it would be an excellent idea to make backups (burn some CDs or DVDs) with all data that you cannot afford to lose. It's also a good idea to have any programs and drivers you want on disk and ready to go.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

If none of the above options are available to you, there is a way to wipe and reinstall just Windoze while leaving the rest of the hard drive contents in tact. I've done this several times, and it has worked great. However, if not done right it can get rather messy. We can walk you through it if you have to go that route.

Otherwise, the best options are what Wyzman listed.

Has anyone posted how to install windows 98 without losing all your other programs? Or would you mind walking me through it? I think that would be an important thing to be able do if needed.

Thread Information