Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PC 100 SDRM Question

PC 100 SDRM Question

Im fixing up a HP Pavilion 900 for a friend that uses PC 100 sdram only [according to HP] There is 128MB CL2 in there now I had 64 MB of the same laying around[total 192mb] --I installed XP Pro and everything run rather slowly, I guess compared to what Im used to.

Question 1] Im going to get an additional 256 PC100 and who knows if I can get CL2 ???? on short notice at a store tomorrow. If its CL3 will it make a problem ??? I will have 384 of PC 100.

Question 2] trying to copy a cd on the CDRW gave me a problem could this be due to the 192MB I have now------------or has Nero Express with their attached software made it a problem to copy a music CD thats copyrighted????? It will copy with no problem using Nero 6.0 no mention of copyright--or is this the small amount of ram.

Thanks
    Thank You one and all for your steady patience, as I educate myself at this wonderful time of my life--Bless You

Memory selector guides say that the Pavilion 900 uses 184pin PC2100 DDR266 DIMMs.

Sorry about that, the 900 is the processor speed ,its an HP 9780C and uses PC100 SDRAM
    Thank You one and all for your steady patience, as I educate myself at this wonderful time of my life--Bless You

From what I've heard (and seen with my Compaq), mainstream manufactured systems around that age can be a bit fussy when it comes to RAM. So, make sure that you not only get a compatible size and CL speed, but also a brand that is known the work well with your system. Crucial and Kingston are probably your best bet with that.

Can you supply a bit more info about your CD-Burning problem? Depending on the problem, it could be anything from DMA disabled for your CD-RW drive to a Win XP issue. I haven't heard anything about Nero enacting any copy write restrictions.

Found the burner problem--but I cant understand why having a bad IDE 2 cable would cause that problem but it did---new cable and all is well, go figure.

This is what makes this computer business so interesting----I do it as a hobby--im sure I would pull my hair out of my head making a living doing what I do for fun.

Thanks Guys

I will be careful about the CL on the Ram

Blog Entries
    If you have the appropriate memory seetins in BIOS you can still use CL-3, but you have to set BIOS at CL-3 as well. The CL-2 should work fine at the slower access rate, but not the other way around. Cl-2 means it will support up to CL-2 but it is not restricted to that rate.

XP really doesn't perform well at all until it gets 256MB memory, and even then unless it's been tweaked a bit the machine is still struggling to just run XP itself, so the problem with Nero may be closely related to insufficient memory, but could be totally unrelated as well. Get more RAM in the machine then go from there.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information