Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast service

Comcast service

I recently discovered that high speed internet was finally available (living out in the middle of Amish country, I plotted the schedule for availability somewhere between world peace and the sun becoming a cold lump of coal about the size of your forehead). The only trouble is, it's through Comcast which I hear doesn't have the best reputation. So, after I recovered from the shock of availability, and after some trouble with their website, I signed up over the phone today.

Due to their reputation, I am concerned that everything is done right the first time and that the service will work.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do to ensure this doesn't turn into a nightmare? What problems should I watch for? What questions should I ask? What should I make sure the install technician does and doesn't do? What other things do I need to do?

Thanks!

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I would have a fresh pot of coffee, an assorment of juices, and whole milk , along with some fresh chocolate chip cookies (some with nuts some without).

I would invite the tech to feel right at home offering the above incentives to keep him/her there as long as it takes to ensure that you are comfortable with the installation.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

You should have NO problems with comcast. I have been a Comcast customer for forever and their service is great. Their tech support is not always great, but their service is awesome.

It's fast, It's almost never down and when it is, it's usually back up quickly.

The only thing I reccommend is that you get an ethernet modem as opposed to a USB modem. I also would get a router. I personally prefer linksys.

Enjoy, you will never ever ever ever think about dial-up again.....

Thatís definitely encouraging to hear, classicsoft.

Right now I have the router on the way ( http://pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php...481#post169481 )

I was going to go with a Linksys, but I read many reviews, some of which were by long-time Linksys users, saying to get the D-Link. And being the cheapskate that I am, I couldnít pass up the price: around $40. Would have gotten it from Newegg, but ZipZoomFlyís free 2nd day shipping kinda closed the deal for me. I wanted to ensure that it would be here on time.

As for the modem, after much consideration and pondering, the coinhabitance in the house decided to lease one. Being that I will be all set up to connect it to my home network through the router, hopefully theyíll be bringing an Ethernet capable modem.

New question:
    Does anyone have any ideas as to how much it costs to run the cable from the street to a house thatís around 375 ft (114.3 m) off the road? No one at the Comcast corporate office (or wherever the ď800Ē number goes), will give me an estimate, and thatís the only number the phone book lists. The nice Comcast people Iíve talked to say they canít give me local contact numbers. It would be nice to know how much it will cost before the tech is at the door. So has anyone had cable installed where the street-to-house run was that long?

As far as I know, installation is free. That's life here in the big city where the rules are different. I also lease the modem as that way Comcast is responsible. If they upgrade the network at some future time and your old modem becomes obsolete, they provide a new one....

Thanks for the advice guys. The installation is tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well.

I soooooo can't wait till tomorrow

Unhappy Bad news

Well, at about an hour after the technician was supposed to show up today, I called Comcast. Turns out the tech canceled our installation yesterday because "the service is not available to my area."

Due to trouble I had with their website, which said that cable internet service was available, then later said that it wasnít when I tried to order, I confirmed itís availability twice on the phone (once when I was just checking to make sure it was available after the first time I checked, and then after I tried to order online and the site suddenly told me it wasnít, I double checked on the phone and then ordered the service over the phone).

According to their records, the tech called and discussed the cancellation with someone here, but no one in the house talked to anyone from Comcast. That tech was supposed to call to talk over the situation sometime this afternoon. Itís almost 7:00 pm here and still no call.

Well, needless to say I am very peeved with Comcast and much more disappointed and bummed out. Iím glad your experience with Comcast has been good, classicsoft, unfortunately, mine certainly hasnít.

Is there any advice or wisdom yíall can share with me as to how to go about dealing with Comcast on this? I know that if it truly isnít available, thatís it, an thereís nothing I can do about it, but after all the monkey business with the website, and then the confirming phone calls, I donít want to just give up on the idea. Besides, I really need an always-on net connection that doesnít tie up my familyís phone.

My advice would be to call the office up that originally Scheduled your Install and raise a big fuss!
    Ask to speak to the manager....Explain that you waited eagerly all day only to find out the bad news- (Missed Work, etc....You know the routine)

In addition, put your complaints in writing. I've mentioned in the past that I once worked for a Cable Company, and it was definitely the squeaky wheel that got the oil.
    Once a letter reaches the managers desk, he generally wants something done about it.

We built several MILES of cable once, just to make amens to a Customer in a similar situation...(Of course, we picked up a few customers on the way) U
    Usually, they'll build based on "homes passed" (x# of homes per mile)...It varies a great deal depending on the area.

Do you happen to know how close the Coax actually is to your house? Usually, it is between the Power Neutral and Telephone on the pole: (unless it's underground of course). It will be either Aluminum in color or the aluminum will be jacketed and (usually)black- Looking a lot like another Phone Cable.

If we're talking many miles away here, it could be bad news for quite some time......The very least they owe you is a projection as to if and when it will be available, and how far it is from your house at the moment.

Sorry to hear the bad news.
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

I'm no expert in cable and cable broadband service, so please keep that in mind.

Due to these recent events, I'm not certain what type (if any) of cable installation is along my road. I think the optical lines (which are needed for broadband, right?) are running along a main road about a mile away from my house, but those could be part of the telephone backbone. Along that mile, there are probably 20 homes or so. From there my house is about 375 feet from the nearest utility pole, where my house's power and phone lines run to underground.

I'd like to contact a local manager, but the only phone number I can get is the 800 number (for the national corporate offices and the same one I used to order). I did find an address for the local office for paying bills and such, so I may swing by and pay them a visit to see if I can talk to someone there.

Do you think I have a shot at any success?

Hi Beta Geek-
    I think there is always a chance...Again, it depends on how close it is now.
    The fiber optic Cable you see on the main rd could belong to Telephone or Cable. It depends on how old your System is out there.

The newer Cable Plants do use Fiber to get to several different "Nodes" or "Mini-HeadEnds" if you will, which allow them to reach out farther and break down the System into little mini-systems so to speak...(among other things)
    These "Nodes" still convert the info in the Fiber back to RF once they reach the general vicinity they want to be in.
    That's the beauty of "Broadband"....A relatively new word people throw around, but Coaxial Cable TV has always been "Broadband"- capable of carrying huge amounts of data, just lacking until now, in some of the Technology needed to do so.

The older systems were like the old X-mas tree lights....A bunch of broadband Amplifiers is Series. If one went out, everything beyond went out....Plus, the cascades could only be so long before signal to noise ratios became intolerable and the Pictures were grainy....Once they reached that limit, that was it- Without building a whole new Headend and Antennae Site. Fiber has changed all that.

Anyway, enough of that nonsense. You need to talk to someone who is familiar with the area. The local office is a good place to start. Maybe at least you can get a name or number on who to call.

Not sure how well you know your neighbors, but you might ask some of them if they know where the nearest Cable TV is.
    20 homes per mile is pretty darn good (for a rural area anyway), if it were already close to your main rd.
    Of course, there is one more problem. Depending on the Bandwidth of the System, they may also have to bring in an underground crew just to go the 375' to you house.
    The higher the Frequency (or "Channel"), the higher the "attenuation", or the faster the signal strength drops, so regular "drop cable" can only be used for so long...(In our case 300' was where we drew the line). After that, larger diameter distribution cable was used. (Our company did that for free up to 1000' though!)

Bottom line is to ask around and find out how far the existing Cable is from your house.
    If there are enough people interested, and you can find the right people to complain to, you have a good shot....Again, something in writing is always a lot more effective.
    Unfortunately, it's not going to happen overnight unless they've made a mistake and is is in fact right out on your main road already.

If Cable is out of the question for the moment, you might ask the Phone Company if DSL is available in your area....Again, this would depend on how far you were from the local office though.

Yikes! Sorry about all the typing...You caught me first thing in the Morning when I have a little energy!
    Keep on poking around for some more info....Not trying to rub Salt in the wound, but Broadband Internet Service really is awesome after having dial-up.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by jabarnutcase; 03-05-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Can you or your neigbors get cable TV?

Not sure how well you know your neighbors, but you might ask some of them if they know where the nearest Cable TV is
    Yes Classic...With all my rambling, I tried to cover that....If Cable TV is available Beta Geek, then usually Broadband Internet Service is also- (You probably knew that)

Some of the "outdated" CATV companies still aren't equipped though....I'm sure Comcast is- South of where I live, Comcast is great. (Wish I had them)

Don't know what made me think of this thread again since this morning.
    However Beta Geek, Classicsoftware brings up an obvious point that maybe I didn't make clear.
    Many don't realize that they are using the very same Coax Cable that your Cable TV comes in on for Broadband Internet.

It never really occurred to me that you may have Cable TV available, but not High Speed internet access yet....That would be a horse of a different color. (Could be good, could be bad).

The good part, is that if Cable TV is out there already, that's half the battle.
    The bad part, is that there may be a heck of a lot of work to do both back at the Main Office (Antenna/headend site) and in the field if they aren't set up for addressable Modems etc. yet.

Again, I have to believe with a Company like Comcast, that if the TV is out there, so is High Speed Internet Service.

Keep us posted! This Cable TV stuff is bringing back a lot of memories...Some good, some bad.

Yeah, believe it or not, I do know that fiber runs to a sort of neighborhood distribution hub, and then from there, on coax to the houses. Now, I hope that's right, or else I just made my self into an idiot! I'm also very familiar with high frequency signal attenuation. One quick sidetrack question: how many users does it take on broadband to slow down the local loop or whatever it's called? Also, (another question that I'm just curious about) do you know if it is a SONET line that is run to the distribution hub such as an OC-48 or OC-255?

Back on subject....
    Actually, DSL was my first choice because itís half the cost of cable out here, but I am a little over one mile out of range.

Because it seems that the national techs are somewhat out of touch with whatís going on at the local level, I think the only way to find out for sure of what is in fact installed out here will be to pay the local Comcast office a visit. My contact at the national number said that he would have the local tech call (as I mentioned above), but still no call.

Also, I did a quick count and it turns out there are 35 (give or take one or two) homes from the main drag to my house. Also this area has been exploding with new developments and houses going in over the past few years, so hopefully that will help my desperate pleas.

In terms of whether any of my neighbors can get cable, hereís what the website says:

My house:
    Basic cable - Available
    Digital cable - Available
    Internet - Unavailable

The house across the street:
    Basic cable - Available
    Digital cable - Available
    Internet - Available

Next-door down on my side of the street, one house closer to the main drag:
    Basic cable - Available
    Digital cable - Unavailable
    Internet - Unavailable

Iíll hopefully be able to sort this all out when I visit the local office. Depending on my findings, would a petition of sorts, or a list of names of people interested in service along that mile stretch hold some decent weight?

Thanks again for the assistance with this.

Hi again- I'll try to go in reverse of your questions and keep it as brief as possible, so I don't bore people to death like my last several Posts.
    1:
    Iíll hopefully be able to sort this all out when I visit the local office. Depending on my findings, would a petition of sorts, or a list of names of people interested in service along that mile stretch hold some decent weight?
    Yes, in fact we often received signed petitions-(especially after Town meetings!) Something you may want to look into is what the original franchise agreement with the Town was...Often, they've promised to build certain areas within a specific time span.

1A: You certainly do need to sort a few things out with the Local office......Because-

2: The information you got on the internet makes very little sense. The House across the street from you would most likely be off the same pole and "Tap" as you! If Digital Cable and Internet are available to him, they should be to you also. (Unless you are off two different distribution lines and his is all set but yours isn't)
    I can't imagine how this can be. It sounds like maybe this is very basic information from a "Homes Passed" ride out- or they are out there splicing, inserting return Amps, replacing drops, and Balancing Amplifiers as we speak! (In other words, in the middle of an upgrade...Have you seen a lot of cable trucks around?)

If anything is accurate at all from your internet search, it sounds to me like there is CableTV right in front of your house and the reason you were "denied" for the moment, is because you are 375' from the pole with existing Cable, and require underground cable to be put in...(Something the installer would not do- Especially if they needed larger distribution Cable).
    The only thing I can figure from the internet info is maybe they were doing some sort of inventory of the types of cable that exist out there, what needs to be replaced to upgrade, etc.
    Man! Here I go again off into the wild blue yonder.

Lastly, (until you find out some more about your situation), while its true that you do share Bandwidth with people off the same Node, there are a ton of variables including the number of Amplifiers and customers off a particular Node, not to mention how Bandwidth is managed and split up by the router back in the headend.....Bottom line? If the system Bandwidth is well managed and the Plant layout well designed, you will barely if ever notice any slowdown.

Yikes! I'm going to shut up for now.....I'm starting to get on my own nerves!

Oh...As far as a SONET line- Doubtful although I have no idea the layout of the System out there. There may be one or more from the provider to their Headend. Basically, from the headend, we had a hybrid fiber coax system with single mode fibers-(Up to 288 count within one cable, gradually breaking down to lesser counts the further out we got and the less Nodes that were needed.)

Again, it sounds to me like some of your neighbors have Cable and Internet already- (Don't you ever stop by and have a Beer or two with any of them so you can get the skinny?
    I'll be interested to hear what this Tech has to say....if you ever hear from him.

(Edit) Well, it looks like I failed miserably in my effort to keep it breif.....Sure glad I went with the condensed version.
    Last edited by jabarnutcase; 03-05-2004 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the info jabarnut. In my opinion, your posts here have been extremely informative and honestly, the more technical the better! Even my non-geek bro enjoys your going off into the wild blue yonder.

I'll be checking into all that very soon, but I'll have to wait till Monday to crash the Comcast office.

I did see a utility truck with a giant spindle of cabling of some kind out down the road about two weeks or so, but I don't know where it was from. I do know the guys out there were running that cable along the road. However, I haven't seen any activity closer to my house, or any other such activity at all other than that. However, I haven't been watching much either, I have either had my head stuck in a Cisco or electronics textbook, or in front of this computer screen.

In terms of going to the neighbors for a cold one, haven't really gotten to know many neighbors out here. I know, it's sad. We became good friends with our next-door neighbors (the ones who's house showed up as only being able to get basic cable and yet are closer to "civilization"), but thy got satellite TV and I don't think they ever checked into cable. Unfortunately, they moved out last year.

Sorry to burden this thread with yet another question, but if it is the case that the hang up is with the long run from the tap at the utility pole to my house, and the installer wouldn't run the cable that distance, how would I go about getting that installed? I'm guessing having Comcast come out to do a separate installation of just that? And how much $$$ do you think that'll run me? I know that prices have most likely changed since you were in the business, and this is a completely different regional area, which I'm sure affects the price, but a rough (I don't care how rough it has to be) estimate would be nice.

I think that's enough for this post. Thanks again for providing all this info. I can't begin to tell you how helpful it is! And I'm sure it is very beneficial for others too.

Oh, and if we do get this installed after all, you have an open invitation to come over any time to grab a cold one and enjoy our broadband.

.....but if it is the case that the hang up is with the long run from the tap at the utility pole to my house, and the installer wouldn't run the cable that distance, how would I go about getting that installed? I'm guessing having Comcast come out to do a separate installation of just that? And how much $$$ do you think that'll run me?
    As you said, that's a tough one. Some companies have their own Construction crews, others contract the work out.(We used to sub it out). Initially, (Gulp), we used to charge 2.00/ft for every foot over 200'.....Later, the Company had an amazing change of heart and we built anything up to 1000' for FREE! (I think this was after we had pretty much saturated the area and were hard pressed for new Customers)

Comcast is a Huge Company...If they truly believe in customer satisfaction, they would get it to you just for the inconvenience you "suffered".
    (At one time, I was in charge of construction- In a case like this, I would have built it for free, plus waived the one time installation charge....don't let me get your hopes too high though- I mean heck, I was a nice guy too. )

Hey- while your hanging around this weekend, take a walk out to the road and look up at the pole that feeds you your Power. (Since you have underground, you'll likely see a Pole with a large Conduit where the Power secondary feeds you with a transformer...Or there may be a transformer pad in your yard somewhere- along with a telephone pedestal)

ANYWAY, look up at that pole..(or the next few down the street) and look for a "Tap". It's a pretty unique looking thing. Like I said, the cable is generally 12 to 14" above the Phone cable.
    The "Tap" will be a square looking thing with several exposed "Ports", often with different color plastic "Tags" signifying various types of service installed.
    The real giveaway will be a total of three Cables running to a house that has cable: The lowest cable will be the Phone drop (usually flat), the next one up will be Cable TV (if they have it) plugged into one of those "tap Ports". And of course the highest Cable will be the Power Secondary- usually a "twisted" three Conductor cable (one ground) running from a Transformer.

Not sure if they use "jacketed" Cable out there, but if you look up and see nice shiny Aluminum with those funny looking taps and tap ports pointing down, it's Cable TV. (The Taps usually have two to four "Ports"...on up to Eight, depending on how many Homes are fed off that one pole.

OK....Shut up jabar- This is getting down right silly.

The bad news is, there are only 2 lines (Power and phone I would assume) in front of my house.

To describe this, I'll go into a bit more detail. I live on a county road about 4 miles from a small but fast-growing town. The "Main" road I was talking about with the buried fiber is the main street of that town that is a state highway (I'll call it "SR A" for practical purposes and I'm too paranoid to give exact names of streets leading to my house online ) once it leaves city limits. Around 3 miles from the center of town, is a county road ("CR A" for now), and 1 mile down that road is my road, CR B. Mine is the 3rd house (so not very far down the road (about 2 city blocks distance). As I said, I'm about 4 miles (as the wire runs) from town.

Now, if utility truck "X" leaves the Comcast office at Noon, and car "Y" leaves my house at 12:15.... Sorry, couldn't resist -again.

ANYWAY, there are brand new, very large utility poles carrying 7 different cables running along CR A, but much smaller poles with only two cables along CR B.

About 1/4 or less of a mile down CR A (3/4 or less of a mile away from CR B, the two lowest cables terminate at a smaller old pole. I am guessing that is where the cable service ends.

I'll post some pics to get your take on all of this.

First pic: this is a cropped pic of the two lowest cables on the 7-cable poles along CR A. I think at least one of the bottom (the second from the bottom cable is the "Cable". They are both characterized by unique dips, if you will, at each pole where they leave the support wire (I think) for a foot or more and then pull back up to rejoin it. Also, the second from the bottom (top cable in this pic) has what I think is a tap. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Sorry about the pic's bad quality, I had to crop, shrink, and compress it to get it down to 20kB.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's where those cables end:

Again, small super-compressed pic, but I think you'll be able to see enough detail. Also, the background trees make it hard to see the terminations or whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Beta Geek!
    I'm headed out for the day....You just happened to catch me.
    Here's something interesting....In the first Photo you show, BOTH of those cables are Cable TV!
    The bottom Cable is an older single "feeder" or distribution line, and the one above looks like a newer Build. (The straight rigid piece on both lines is indeed support cable-(1/4" Steel Strand)
    (Why there is no Phone line there I'm not sure, they may either be fed from somewhere else, or go underground...Or are up higher which would be very unusual. Hmmmm- Or maybe lower where they belong, and I just can't see because it's below the bottom edge of the Photo)

ANYWAY- That Square box you see is a Broadband Amplifier.....In this case the "Line extender" Amplifier has one input. (The main signal would be fed from "right to left" as we look at the Photo).

On the output of the Amplifier is a Tap and a two way Directional Coupler or splitter. One of these legs continues to feed ahead (to the left of Photo)and I assume eventually terminates at the pole in your second Photo. The other cable "back-feeds" toward the way the original "trunk" signal came from, and would have more Taps if needed for customers. (The Photo is a little dark and it may be a slightly different configuration, but that is my guess from what I can see).

In other words, you see two cables on the "input" side of the Amp....One "dedicated trunk" feeding from right to left, then a feeder cable with taps feeding back toward the original signal direction.

(I'm making this sound a lot more complicated than it should).

Anyway, I'm assuming you're beyond where it shows the Cables terminating in the last Photo.
    BTW....The bottom Cable is most likely going to be torn down. The new cable was put up for one of two reasons......Either they set some new poles and it was easier to put up new Cable then to re-splice and "hack up" the original cable, OR, they are in the middle of upgrading the entire System for more services including Digital Cable and internet access.

Either way, the info you got off the internet is inaccurate, if I am reading your "Road-map" correctly. You neighbor across the Street doesn't have cable either if you are both beyond that termination point.

You aren't so far away though, so I would still urge you to see if they have any plans to build that area...Especially with the number of "Homes Passed" you mentioned.

I can't tell from the photos, but I would guess the lower (older) Cable is Aluminum colored and the newer one above it is "jacketed" Coax (probably black) and they may indeed be upgrading the system....Not to mention extending it eventually.

Hope all of that wasn't as confusing as I think I just made it.

(Edit) BTW...Those "Unique Dips" you mention are expansion loops designed so expansion and contraction from temp changes don't start pulling the Cable out of the connectors.

And, YES! That funny looking thing with the multiple "ports" pointing down is the "Tap" I was talking about that actually feeds the individual customers - (That one Tap in your Photo has a single Customer off of it- You can see the "Drop" cable to the House)....So now you know what to look for.
    For that matter, that is also a Tap in the lower cable. (Un-used with a line Terminator or an old "Trap" or "Filter" pointing down).

Good luck!
    Last edited by jabarnutcase; 03-08-2004 at 03:50 PM.

I don't think you're making this any more complicated than it has to be. You're doing an excellent job explaining it. Mad props to ya for that!

I got a more accurate distance today and a little more info. From CR A, it is 0.9 miles from the end of the cable to the utility pole that services my house. There are 25-30 houses along that distance. I also decided to check farther down the road (CR B) (the other direction) because there is a small subdivision, which has cable service. From where it stops at the near end of the subdivision, it is slightly over 0.8 miles, but only 17 houses or so are passed in that distance.

Later this afternoon Indiana EST time, I'll head over to Comcast, so hopefully I'll have the verdict tonight. Not that I'll stop trying if I don't like it.

Also, I think the phone line is above the cable lines but below the power lines, which I believe are at the top of the pole (See my second pic). The two cable lines are the lowest ones on the pole. It seems that thatís how Comcast installs it in this area because Iíve noticed that itís usually the lowest cable on the pole.

Again, thanks for all the info! I've learned so much through this experience, and especially from your posts. However, It's crazy because I can't go anywhere anymore without analyzing the utility poles along the way!

Good luck Beta Geek-
    Bring as much info as you can to Comcast......9/10 of a Mile for 25-30 houses is actually very good and well worth building.....if it were up to me! (Like I said, they may even be planning too).

A little hand drawn map to bring them with the house information you've given me might just help to influence them a bit too....I still have a feeling they are in the middle of an upgrade of the System as we speak.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

(Edit)Don't forget to mention the "pain and suffering" you've been through, from the day they were suppose to come over and hook you up!
    Last edited by jabarnutcase; 03-09-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have a mental list of everything from them telling me that I can get it twice to the fact that the tech never talked to anyone here when he cancelled and then never called to discus the situation like we were told he would, to the fact that I purchased equipment (a router) because I was assured that it would be installed, and now that equipment is useless to me. Pretty much, I'm planning on laying it all out in front of them and asking what they plan on doing about it.

Anyway, I hope you're right that it looks like they could be in the process of extending service already.

Hopefully I'll have good news tonight. Hmmm... darn, no smiley with crossed fingers to put in here...

Well, I paid them the "visit", but the manager or who ever is in charge of their building and expansion was already gone for the day. However, I did get a local phone number (finally!) so I'll call him tomorrow.

Well, I just got off the phone with the Comcast area manager and he says that right now there wouldn't be enough of a payoff (in 60 months or whatever) for it to be profitable to build out to my house. He says that they will reevaluate at the end of the year. Arg!

I'm thinking we need to become good friends with the people living in the last house along the cable run and setup a Pringles can wireless network between our two houses.

Thread Information