Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Motherboard Power Issues

Motherboard Power Issues

Hey all..
    I just had a quick question regarding a new motherboard I just bought.

I bought a couple of items; an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, p4 2.4 ghz 800fsb, and 512 ultra pc3200 400mhz ddr ram chip.

Last night I attempted to take out my old motherboard, an Asus Cusl2
    and put in the new one. Once I had everything connected and ready to roll, I tried to power up, but nothing happened.
    This happened to me before in that I had incompatible ram.

What I have discovered, is that the board has two inputs towards power.
    The 20 pin, and the atx12v power source.

The older power source I was using does not have an atx12v connector.. which leads me to my question..

For newer boards with p4 chips, is it mandatory to have both a 20pin connector AND the atx12v source plugged in for it to power up?
    Also, would trying to power up the board without the atx12v plug be damaging at all? how would I know if it was?

Thanks for any help on this issue

Blog Entries
    Yep, you have to use the 4 pin connector, it won't power up without it. Options are get a P-4 compatible power supply, or get a case that already has one. I don't think it will hurt it to try and power up without it, it just won't do anything. Didn't hurt when I did it anyway...
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help. It just gives me a reason to go buy a nice shiny new case

Thread Information