Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Error Reading Or Writing To Drive F

Error Reading Or Writing To Drive F

HI,

Im running what used to be a win98 with aDuron 1200Mhz CPU and 30GB C Drive and 80 GBs in a separate hard drive, 40 GBs in D and 40 GBs in E.
    I used to have 40 in the C drive, but I installed SuSe incorrectly and couldn't uninstall it, so I just put in a 30GB hard drive that has never been used. Im trying to reinstall 98se, but Im getting an error message that says formatting is about to begin and then: error reading or writing to drive F. Try again or Abort installation. Try again leads nowhere, and abort only leads back to the error message that offers try again. So I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and I'm back to trying to reinstall 98se.

BIOS recognized the 30GB hard drive.

Any help, suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I using my son's XP. Thanks for any assistance whatever.

Ensure that the 30gig is the master on IDE channel #1 (have it as the only hdd attached if in any doubt) and then boot to a boot floppy diskette. You may have to fdisk (to repartition the drive) and then reboot to the floppy. Then format the partition you created with fdisk. Then run the Win98 installation setup.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thank you, Paul! I appreciate that information. Okay! Thanks!

Thanks, Paul! I followed your directions; Im installed; and on line. Thanks. The next step will be to format the Linux hdd as D drive and reinstall it correctly.

Thread Information