Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: kernel panic

kernel panic

I've downloaded the most recent stable kernel, configured, compiled and now when I boot I get "kernel panic: init not found". I using Redhat 9.0 and grub. (Grub will still let me boot the old kernel.)

As I understand it, there are many things which can cause this, so I'm not really after a quick solution because there are many which may or may not work. Rather, I want to know if there is a link to somewhere that will describe the boot process, and maybe I can begin to know where to look for a solution specific to my problem.

I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

Don't know if THIS is what you are looking for. Doesn't contain a whole lot.

After quick search, most of the stuff I have been able to find with that error refer to problems with a misconfigured bootloaders.
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Thread Information