Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: My Ports 1025 and 5000 are open?

My Ports 1025 and 5000 are open?

I just ran "Shields Up" and it said my computer was "stealth" except for ports 1025 and 5000.

I did a search on google for those ports and found:
    - port 1025 is a unspecified Distributed COM (DCOM) services opened by Windows.

- port 5000 is used by Microsoft's universal Plug'n'Play protocol for allowing PCs to automatically discover and control a range of locally networked peripherals.

Am I vulnerable to attact if I have these ports open? If I am, how can I close them. Please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Easiest way to fix it is go back to grc and look for "free stuff" button.
    Download, install, and run DCOMBOBULATOR program.
    He also has a Unplug & Pray program that will fix the other.
    Also be sure to have all the Windows Update critical updates downloaded.
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 08-07-2004 at 08:25 PM.

In that assumption is the mother of all screw-ups, i am not going to assume that you did the Leak Test---if you didn't, do that also.
    Best//Donn

Actor Kevin Kline was asked once (Actor's Studio) how he can play his comedy rolls with such repeated and consistent passion. His response:

"I don't know, I just can't imagine not being happy."

I downloaded DCOMBOBULATOR and Unplug and Pray as you have suggested. I enabled the suggested settings but when I ran Shields up again, it said I still have port 1025 open. Am I still vulnerable? If I am, what more do I need to do to close/hide this port? Thank you all for your advice again!

Also, I'm not sure what Donn meant by the "Leak Test".

LeakTest loads an benign sending application onto your PC, you then let it try to send things to see if your firewall will block data from being sent off the PC.
    What firewall programs/hardware do you have on your computer/network for protection?

Jim,

First, I'll bet that nice new system you bought did come with a firewall app. I'm sure you're using it. Look in the settings and lock down whatever is holding that port open. Now, go spend $20 on a basic router and add that to your configuration. It's like wearing two pairs of underwear ... leaks don't get out .. or in.

See you at work.
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by ujlee0
    I

Also, I'm not sure what Donn meant by the "Leak Test".
    go here:

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

and scroll down to the section called '*Hot Spits*', right under "ShieldsUp!" you'll see 'Leak Test.'

Looks like this:

LeakTest 5,143,082 downloads
    Ensure that your PC's personal firewall can not be easily fooled by malicious "Trojan" programs or viruses. Thanks to this first version of LeakTest, most personal firewalls are now safe from such simple exploitation.
    Best//Donn

Actor Kevin Kline was asked once (Actor's Studio) how he can play his comedy rolls with such repeated and consistent passion. His response:

"I don't know, I just can't imagine not being happy."

I've downloaded the Leak Test from GRC and it said my Firewall was penetrated. I'm running Sygate (version 5.5). I just ran Shields Up and port 5000 is closed but 1025 is still open. Please advice. As always, thank you very much for your help.

From Wilders:
    With Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5,
    Open the Advanced Options, click ADD, then goto PORTS AND PROTOCOLS, Select TCP, two options now appear, in LOCAL box type in 1025 and leave Remote box clear, in the Traffic Direction box select Incomming. Click OK , then OK again..

Now test the firewall again.
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 08-09-2004 at 12:41 AM.

Woohoo!! That worked. All my ports are closed and Shields Up says my computer is Stealth. Thanks!

Thread Information