Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: internet explorer probelem virus?

Question internet explorer probelem virus?

avg adaware pro and spybot run on my pc on a daily basis. all are coming up clean and the have been updated, no viruses or infected files. anyhow yesterday i came home got on here went to check my auctions and no net. nothing worked but google. it was odd i could search many sites and could get to many but nothing i wanted to get to.. i figured mabey i would need to update explore so i went to look and see if i could update figuring somthing was missing. i get a notice i cant update and then am prompted to reinstall IE. so i pop the XP disc in and reinstall. that works ive got net acces back, but then i catch a problem. when i click on a link (one that will open a new window) the window opens blank and the adres bar is blank as well. i also can do nothing but close this window. i also cant click anthing and selcet open in new window it also does the same thing. so i ask is it a virus or somthing thats not turned on. everthing ive been sugested points to somthing being selcted thats preventing the windows from opening. and anthing ive been told to check has been set right.
    watch out! the monkey has a gun

any ideas? im kinda up a crick here

I've had similar problems, but I'm Win Me. First thing I have done is check all the physical connections--I know, I know, don't say it, just please check all the physical connections. Then check all the trays and see if you left a disk in one of them. Is there a cable hanging lose like you had a digital camera on it and took it off? Check all this physical stuff first.

Edit: Particularly check your mouse and keyboard connection. Ask yourself: how old is this mouse, this keyboard? Could one or both of them have gone bad?

Then I ask myself what was I doing just before this problem started? Downloading? If so, did you #1 log off the net, and #2 disable your AV BEFORE you installed what you downloaded? No? Then possibly your AV interferred with the download and the frag got into the IE.

When I download something, I do it this way:

After I get the download, after download, AS SOON AS I SEE THE INSTALL SHIELD, BEFORE I CLICK THE INSTALL ICON,
    #1. log off the net,
    #2. disable AV (right click tray icon),
    #3. then ctrl-alt-delete to close AV in close-program, THEN (and only then)
    #4. click on the install procedure. Otherwise the AV might read the install as an invader and mess with it.

Now, you said you reinstalled IE from your XP disk? Try this:

Reinstall IE 6 Sp-1:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...p1/default.asp

and see if the problem clears.

Also, just for the technicallity of it: I would run my updated AV, updated Spybot, and updated Adawre, and updated A-Squared in Safe Mode.

Please post back what results.
    Best//Donn

Actor Kevin Kline was asked once (Actor's Studio) how he can play his comedy rolls with such repeated and consistent passion. His response:

"I don't know, I just can't imagine not being happy."

went and got service pack 6 right off the bat. mouse keyboard and printer are hooked up, solid as they get. as is the network cable. adaware se ran for the first time last night. i also decided to scan it on tren microsystems site just for S' and gigles, nothing showed there either. no matter what i try i can get links or select open new windows to open.

also i havent downloded anything but updates for avg adaware and the like.

another problem, ive had this happen before and its suddenly back. i get an active x display warning when im on ebay. its rather anoying since its every time i refresh a page or clik a link. its back in full force. that have to do with this problem you think?

tools > Internet Options > security tab > custom icon > check your active X controls --prompt, disable, disable, enable, enable are the settings that I use on the active x control features.
    Best//Donn

Actor Kevin Kline was asked once (Actor's Studio) how he can play his comedy rolls with such repeated and consistent passion. His response:

Originally posted by mod_wagon_drive
    went and got service pack 6 right off the bat. mouse keyboard and printer are hooked up, solid as they get. as is the network cable. adaware se ran for the first time last night. i also decided to scan it on tren microsystems site just for S' and gigles, nothing showed there either. no matter what i try i can get links or select open new windows to open.

change out the mouse and keyboard with ones you know work and see if that brings it back to normal.
    Best//Donn

Originally posted by mod_wagon_drive
    Did you run them in Safe Mode yet? Did or does this problem start right after one of those update downloads, especially after a Wind-ows update download?

Edit: What AV do you have, do you have Norton Utilities, Norton System Works?

Edit: Please make sure to respond to all the questions and recommendations so we know what (if) you have tried and what the results are.
    Last edited by Donn; 08-23-2004 at 11:37 PM.
    Best//Donn

Interesting.

I run W2K and I've had a very similar problem since the LAST IE CRITICAL SECURITY UPDATE. I use Firefox mostly and it opens fine all the time. When I attempt to open IE for the first time after boot now, it comes up frozen (not connected, though). The lovely hourglass is spinning and the only thing that can be done is close... no way to do anything else in the IE window. Ctrl-ALt-Del, and looking at Task Manager shows IE is not responding. I can close IE, open Firefox, attempt to open IE multiple times and maybe it'll actually run and connect, maybe not. When it doesn't, I shut down my firewall (ZAP 4.5) and try gain ... sometimes that works, sometimes not (NOTE: I NEVER had a problem connecting even with ZAP running before the last critical security update). Also, once I do get it to run and connect, I turn ZAP back on and all is well until shutdown and reboot, then we go through this BS all over again.

So what I think is that there are two possibilities: 1) the update has a bug that manifests itself this way on certain configurations or 2) the download MAY have gotten corrupted and caused this. I have doubts about possibility 2) because I always CLOSE ALL before any install (although IE is open during Winupdate) and secondly, what are the chances that a corrupted update would manifest itself with almost exactly the same symptoms on different machines?
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Donn

Did you run them in Safe Mode yet? Did or does this problem start right after one of those update downloads, especially after a Wind-ows update download?

Edit: What AV do you have, do you have Norton Utilities, Norton System Works?

Edit: Please make sure to respond to all the questions and recommendations so we know what (if) you have tried and what the results are.
    safe mode, nothing came up for all of them. i run AVG anti virus, the problem started while i was gone. i checked my ebay auctions, went to my freinds house came back 4 hours later and the thing went tits up

tools > Internet Options > security tab > custom icon > check your active X controls --prompt, disable, disable, enable, enable are the settings that I use on the active x control features.
    to the leter how its set

change out the mouse and keyboard with ones you know work and see if that brings it back to normal.
    new logitech mouse and key board, just got them

Post a HijackThis log in this thread, do not start a new thread.

Just in case you do not know how to do that go here:

http://www.subratam.org/?page=removal

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING IN IT UNLESS YUO ARE CERTAIN YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

download the HiJackThis file. As it is installing look for the check box to extract it to a C:\file or extract it and do that yourself.

Log off the net and close all browsers and windows.

Click on the icon, when it opens click 'SCAN.' The scan icon will then become the 'save-log' button. Click on Save-log and save it. Click on 'edit', select all or highlight the whole list and copy it.

Log on the net and come back to this thread.

Paste the log to a 'reply' form--if it is too long for one PCGuide form, divide it in half and use a second.

Sonmeone other than I will help you with the log. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING in the HJT log yourself unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are doing. Wait for an HJT expert to help you.
    Best//Donn

i broke down an reinstalled xp, that seems to have fixed it. as for hijack im only running about 10 progrmas on there and i know what everyone is. i check that constanly. thanks for the ideas guys ill reply if i have any more problems with it.

Thread Information