Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: What do you suggest for upgrading my PC?

What do you suggest for upgrading my PC?

I currently have a Pentium 4 2.45 GHz with 256 MB of RDRAM. I don't know if I should pay 150$ and add 512 MB of RDRAM for a total of 768 MB or buy a new motherboard and go with some brand new DDR RAM, about 1GB or so (that'll cost a little more.) Which is better? If I stick with RDRAM, I'll have more money leftover for a new video card, I'm thinking about pickiing up a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro. What do you suggest I do?

Thanks,
    Nyaar

it depends on what you use the system for

A gamer go with the high end video card and memory

Upgrade the Mother Board and cpu later when you can get a larger Boost
    I never replace the cpu unless I can at least double the speed of my old one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I never replace the cpu unless I can at least double the speed of my old one
    Sage advice for anyone on a budget, but if you can afford it, I recommend going for CPU upgrades of 30-50% + a core change. For instance, I currently have a P4B 2.26, which I plan to upgrade to a P4C 3.2. This only gets me a 41% clock speed increase, but I gain FSB & RAM speed (533 to 800) and HT support. I consider the upgrade well worth it.

RDRAM is more expensive than DDR, but for the price and your situtation, I agree with Rick. The extra RAM and future promise of a vid card upgrade are worth more than a new platform at this point.

Thread Information