Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Restart Delay???

Exclamation Restart Delay???

When I install new programs and am asked to reboot, the cpu seems to be shutting down before all of the data is transfered to the hard drive. My programs will not start or hang up due to corrupted data. I was wondering if there is a way to delay the shutdown for a few seconds to give the harddrive time to finish copying the data.

When you install something make sure that nothing is running, background or foreground, most especially AV (anti-virus) programs...usually when you need to reboot after an install it is to update a file that is in use, Windows creates a file that does the replacement during the boot process not at the shutdown, that is not usually a source of file corruption. BUT running an AV program during the install can corrupt or even prevent certain files from being transferred (most likely source of a corrupted install other than a bad install routine....)

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Question

Thanks for the info but I have not been able to install any AV programs yet as they are not being copied to the hard drive properly. As of now windows is the only thing that I have been able to load. I am also using retail software that I know is good, I have tested it on another computer and it installs fine. I have also tried reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows but this has not helped.
    I am running Windows 98 the processor is an Intel P4 1.6GHz @ 400 MHz Bus
    with 512MB of ram.

[This message has been edited by animater (edited 02-20-2002).]

How is the RAM installed, one stick of 512 or 2 256 sticks?

RDRAM?

Ok...this is basically a fresh install?

Try here for some fixes....

------------------
    mjc

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Unhappy

HUH???
    sdram 2x256 sticks

But what does ram have to do with installing programs?

Is it possible that the cpu is rebooting to windows before the updates are installed completely causing the files to corrupt and the programs to hang or crash altogether? As I said earlier I know these programs are all good as I have tested them on another computer the only difference being the processor speed of 800 MHz verses 1600 MHz.

What OS are you using? Try this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q273017

------------------
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

[This message has been edited by hiredgoonz (edited 02-20-2002).]
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

Microsoft Knowledge Base

Drivers

Google

Because win98 can and does often choke on 512MB of RAM or more...try pulling one of them and then installing, and then look at this for info on how to work around it...and this for a couple of more ideas.....(the last post by BigBlue66)

------------------
    mjc

Cool

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up downloading IFSMGR.VXD FIX and created a Registry Value wich gave me enough of a time delay (after the reboot). This seems to have fixed the problem. It seems to have worked. If I have any other problems I'll Be sure to check out the discussion group again.

Once again many thanks for all the help

Thread Information