Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: HELP!!!!!! XP Pro error

Exclamation HELP!!!!!! XP Pro error

I got the following error after re-booting from updating my macafree [however you spell it]:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

c\windows\system32\config\system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom. select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    --end---
    I have a dell and the only software i have that might help it is:

1. "operating System: Reinstlltion cd xp pro"
    2. Dell drivers and utilities: dell dimension resource cd

I don't know if this affected it but I forgot to log off and turn off my pc last night. I was loged in as a normal user.

Please help, I have school papers I need to get too.
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Information about this available at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822705

that doesn't help me . I can't follow it. Plus my computer won't boot! [i'm on the home one.]

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Try to restore your configuration files [it includes the registry which is held in 2 files = user.dat & system.dat (I think the one that can't be found)].
    To do this:
    At startup select "last good configuration". [I don't have XP, so I'm not familiar with the exact wording]

If this doesn't fix the problem, do as advised and use:
    1. "operating System: Reinstallation cd xp pro"
    to repair the Windows installation.
    This makes sure that all the necessary Windows files are present.

Ideally you'd have a 3rd party backup [or imaging] program and have a backup made of the C: partition.
    Then if anything goes wrong with your software [and your hardware is still the same since making the backup], you just re-format the c: partition and restore the backup [or restore the image without the need for a re-format].
    Last edited by Sylvander; 04-13-2005 at 04:16 PM.

O.k I'm a really newbe about this stuff so could you tell me how to do your suggestions. thanks.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

I don't run Winxp, but I believe that during startup there is a menu displayed from which you can select various startup options.
    One of those is "last good configuration".
    You may need to hit "F8" [repeatedly blip F8 immediately leading up to the point where Windows begins to boot] to see that startup menu.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 04-13-2005 at 05:16 PM.

I'll try it now. . . .nope, no luck .

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

At startup select "last good configuration". [I don't have XP, so I'm not familiar with the exact wording]

If this doesn't fix the problem, do as advised and use:
    1. "operating System: Reinstallation cd xp pro"
    to repair the Windows installation. [how do i do this?]
    This makes sure that all the necessary Windows files are present.[ and this?]

Ideally you'd have a 3rd party backup [or imaging] program and have a backup made of the C: partition.[no clue, so probably no]

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Thread Information