Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Unable to Boot SCSI

Post Unable to Boot SCSI

Hi There,

I have been using my Quantum Atlas 10k SCSI drive for 2 years or so and it suddenly refuses to talk to the computer. It clicks, the lights come on underneath at different stages of boot up but a message is displayed "Connected but not ready" also another message at the end of the attempt reads "SCSI bios not installed" This is strange since although this is on channel "B" a CDRW and Zip drive on channel "A" work well. I have all my photographs on there, I'm not worried about saving the drive but I would like my photographs back! Can anyone help?

Connect the hard drive to the other IDE channel, get into BIOS(press Del or whatever key is specified on the BIOS screen at startup), and auto configure the hard drive. If it boots the system, then there's a problem with the 1st IDE channel's controller.
    If the system does not boot, then make sure the HD's IDE cable is securely connected. If that's ok, try another cable. If still no luck, insert the Windows boot floppy, select 'Start Without CD-ROM Support' from the menu, press Enter, type dir x: (where x is your hard drive's letter) at the A:\> prompt. If you cannot see the contents of the drive, then it has died. You will need the assistance of a data recovery service and a lot of $ to retrieve your photos.
    If you can see the hard drive's contents, then leave the boot disk inserted, restart, select the same start option as above, type c: and press Enter, type fdisk /mbr and press Enter, remove the boot disk and restart.
    If this does not work, start with the boot disk inserted, select the same start option, type sys c: and press Enter, remove the boot disk and restart.

I am not able to fit SCSI to IDE board connector, it is a totally different connection. It is fitted to a host adapter. It is not a bootable disk in any case,just a slave. Is there any way I can by-pass the problem by reconfiguring the jumpers?

Sorry about the IDE connection suggestion. Forgot that the drive is SCSI.

Try the following:
    -Check that the host adapter is securely inserted in its slot, and the cable is securely connected at both ends.
    -Insert the adapter in another slot.
    -Check Device Manager for a conflict with the adapter(IRQ, etc.).
    -Remove the adapter from Dev. Mgr., restart the computer, and let Windows reload its drivers.
    -Install another SCSI cable.
    -Check to see if you can access the drive's contents in DOS(see my previous post). If you cannot see the drive's contents, then either the adapter or the drive is bad.

Thread Information