Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: WINZIP problems.

WINZIP problems.

Ok. Firstly guys this is my first post so hello.Today i went to Zest games in Bangkok(where i live) where i can buy original games. After browsing and thinking about Brothers in Arms. I came accross ths game DeuxEx Invisble War. Thought i'd give it a go. So got home and done some things around the room. Finally have just sat down and decided to load this game up. So insert the disk nothing happens then windows kicksa in and shows me whats on the disc. One Zip file. So far so good. So i try to unZip the file. Then its gives me this message...
    WinZip cannot open D:\data3.cab because its not in the standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid 1998). The "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft CaB specification are missing.

Bare in mind this is an ORIGINAL game and not a copy. So any ideas guys. I dont know what to do except take the game back tomorrow and see if they will swap the game for something else. Was looking forward to playing this.

PC specs......
    Athlon 64/3000 Socket 939
    Mainboard with 939 socket with VGA slot
    NEO 2
    2x 512 Ram(400)
    160GB HD (MT)
    Geforce Fx 5900 graphics card.
    Running Xp by the way. Cheers in advance.

Not sure but what is the size of this zip file. Usually .cab files are to do with Windows or so I understand it.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Rev2, Bios 1014.008, A64 4000+ San Diego @2.88Ghz (240x12@1.375), XP-90 w/ Enermax 92mm, BFG 6800GT OC 370x1000, Creative Audigy, Corsair XMS TwinX 2048-3200C2PT (2.5-3-3-6 1T@2.7v), Seagate 500GB & 250GB SATA (Promise IDE), OCZ PowerStream 520w, Lian Li PC7 Plus II (3x120mm fans)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Try using either Winzip, or Winrar to open the file.

Winzip
    Winrar
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Doh!

Ok. Thanks for any help that you gave. Found out what the problem was. Really simple but the manufacturers fault. One disc was marked INSTALL the other GAME. So obviously i use the INSTALL disk. Would you not? I thought **** it. I'll try other disc as a last resort. None of these discs were marked Disc 1 or Disc 2 just what i stated before. So tried the GAME disc. And it worked. Doh! Maybe the discs were marked wrong? I dont know? But its working now. I feel stupid.

It happens to all of us sometimes! Glad you got it working.
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Thread Information