Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: All Parts in now. Started putting together

All Parts in now. Started putting together

Re my thread in the link below.
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37363

Well I have installed the Motherboard, Memory, Ram, Graphics card and the keyboard/mouse (wireless). (Nothing else at the moment - no drives etc). Did a bare bones boot and into the BIOS without problems. Before going any further I have a couple of questions about this.

Full amount of memory recognised (1GB)

Pheonix-Award BIOS:
    In the CPU CONFIGURATION I have the following question:
    The BIOS sees the CPU correctly. AMD Athlone 64 Processor 3000+
    but
    It gives the CPUSPEED as 4077MHz

The normal dos Boot screen (for want of a better expression) gives the following info:
    CPU Clock - 1800MHz

With the case stripped right down. (Both sides and front removed) and the mobo installed into it and three fans installed (plus the CPU fan) CHIP FAN (comes pre-installed and connected on the board)
    Front fan is air intake -
    Rear one pushing outwards.
    They are connected as follows:
    CPU fan connected to the specified (connecter as per the manual and printed on board)

Front fan this is connected to CHA1 pins (originally fitted to rear and supplied with case) This will be getting changed to CHA2 connecter once I go beyond this stage.

Rear fan connected to POWER FAN (as printed on the board) connecter. (This is a Cool MAster 8025 System fan bought seperately)

There is one other fan connecter free (cha2) at the moment but this will be taken by the side panel fan (Came pre-fitted with case) this will be connected to CHA1 connecter.

Tempreatures in this state:
    CPU 36c - Mobo 28c - CPU TARGET ( )Temp 72c (is this the maximum temp before the computer shuts down?
    Q Fan controller Disabled (at the moment)

Any suggestions/comments on the above?

voltages:
    V Core Voltage = (flicks between) 1.39 & 1.48v / 3.3v = 3.26 / 5v = 4.99 / 12v = (flicks between) 11.77 & 11.84
    Are these OK?
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Great job so far Ernie!

I'll have to let someone AMD savy talk about the difference in clock speed that you see. I'm an Intel guy and have been. I've heard and read that the AMD chip can give goofy clock info in the BIOS. I don't remember why.

BTW--My next build will likely be AMD with water cooling.

I will talk about your temps:

Tempreatures in this state:
    CPU 36c - Mobo 28c - CPU TARGET ( )Temp 72c (is this the maximum temp before the computer shuts down?
    Q Fan controller Disabled (at the moment)

Any suggestions/comments on the above?
    Those temps are not only good, they're great. According to this page , the max (serious damage danger) temp for what I think is that CPU is 70C. Now, my mobo didn't tell me the "target" temp until I enabled Q fan. I guess you may have poked around and just checked it. I do believe that is the temp at which the CPU will experience a "thermal event" and shut down. Mine is a couple of degress lower than the spec max, while yours appears to be a couple higher? That table in the link is not AMD or Intel "official, although it says the data is drawn from official sources. BTW--the site kind of looks like Saphalline's, but I'm not sure it is.

As for enabling Qfan, When I built my system, I left it OFF initially. Meaning, I wanted all fans to run at maximum speed until I was comfy with the cooling system. Once I was, I enabled it and noticed something interesting. Keep in mind that I have a Zalman 7700Cu with a 120mm fan. The fan speed is rated 1000 to 2000 rpm +\- 10%. So, at full tilt, it should run somewhere around 2000 rpm, and it did. When I enabled Q fan, the speed decreased to around 1650 and varied. Interestingly, the CPU temp went DOWN with the slower speed and auto-control by Q fan.

Once you have confidence in everything, definitely enable the fan control and watch what happens.

As for the voltages, I'm not an expert there but I would say they look fine, too. Tolerances I have seen run +\-5% to +\-10%, depending on the particular voltage.

All in all, it's looking good.
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Pop Pop
    My preference has always been for AMD.

It gives the CPUSPEED as 4077MHz
    This, after two / three boots has rectified itself and now reads 1800MHZ

I will wait before turning on Q Fan as you reccomend. I will enable it after having done a burn-in test using SySoft Sandra, or some such program, just somehting ot put stress on. But hat is a ways down the line. One thing at a time (for my benifit - that way if something goes wrong I only have to throw some parts through the window and not all of them )

At present I have installed the floppy and set Mem Test to run and will leave that for a while before installing the the port connectors etc (Games/ Serial / other USB - They come seperatly and must be fitted. I thought that this type of cable connection was old hat and no longer used, but Asus still does.)
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Yep, Asus hasn't stepped up as far as cables and connectors go. I paid $236 US for my top 'o the line Asus mobo and you would hav thought it would come with round rather than ribbon--nope!
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    Albert Einstein

I thought the same. So went out and bought round IDE cables but am having a wee bitof bother sourcing round floppy cable. Local guy is trying ot ge tone for me, if he is not successful a 35 mile journey in front of me to get one.

I have now connected and Fdisk and formated my hard disk. BIOS recgnises it correctly. What should the SATA drive (to be used for OS) be set at in the BIOS, hard-drive or removable drive? (I have read that they are HOT swappable and this is what makes me wonder). No OS installed yet and will be running scan disk to check the drive out first. (Better to check now than wonder if things go wrong later)
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

What should the SATA drive (to be used for OS) be set at in the BIOS, hard-drive or removable drive?
    I left mine at the default to keep things simple as possible.

As for round cables, I bought several. The IDEs installed easy enough but the floppy cable was terribly rigid and getting the connector onto the mobo once mounted in the case became infuriatingly tough. Lesson for me--attach the hard to get to mobo-based connectors before mounting.

One question, in your listed HDD selections in the previous thread, you were going with 200GB drives. Did you and you know you might run into the >137GB issue? Fortunately for me, my boot drive is the 74GB Raptor and so that was not a problem when installing the OS. I prepped the 160GB Seagate (my secondary/data drive) much later. I used the Seagate Tools to prep the drive and the application saw that the OS was not set to handle drives >137GB. It asked if I wanted it done and of course I said yes. Just something else to think about--if you haven't already.
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    Albert Einstein

I used Win98 boot disk to partition the disk into 10% & 90% to allow me to make quick image straight after loading OS. FDISK did not recognise full size

Before and after partitioning the BIOS recognised the full 200GB and full size also shows on the boot screen as Fitst SATA 200GB. So it seems as though I have missed the glory of the size limitation.

(board is rev 2 so the BIOS has maybe be upgraded to accomidate larger disks)
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

I will continue using this thread to post problems as they arise

FRONT USB CONNECTERS
    Could someone look at the manual (Download link in original thread) for me and go to page 1-27 Item 6

My case has two (2) front USB ports. Each has four (4) wires/connecters. The diagram in the manual show 9 pins for each set of USB ports. 5 on top row and 4 on bottom row. Each board set of pins are for two USB ports (as far as I can make out)
    (using USB 5-6 on the board as there are 4 ports on the rear of the board already connected)
    Do I connect each front cable (which both have four (4) wires each) connecting cable (one) to the top row and cable (two) on the bottom row? Working from left to right. This would leave the exreme right pin on the top row empty

Hope I have been clear enough in my wording
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

Ernie,

We'll need to know the case manufacturer and/or the colors and labels from the wires for the usb ports to figure out how best to match them to the pinouts on your mobo.

This is the mothrboard:
    Asus - A8N-E - Socket 939 AMD

And the manual can be found here
    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...1911_a8n-e.pdf
    The colours pf the wires for the front USB ports are red - white - green - black (this is the order (left to right looking into case) that I have connected (but not tried out yet)
    Legends on each wire (2 cables):
    cable one
    Red - VCC1 / white - Data -1 / green -data+1 / black - grnd
    cable two
    Red - VCC2 / white - Data -2 / green -data+2 / black - grnd
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

I have managed to get the front USB ports working. I grabbed a rear I/O 2 port USB connector and checked he wiring on that.

Windows Xp now installed along with board and graphics drivers. Next problem with the case/mobo is the FRONT AUDIO connections. No matter what I think I cannot figure it out.

The details of the wires on the case is as follows: (7 wires)
    R out / L out / R in / L in / Mic bias / Mic in / Gnd
    (As detailed on each connector)

The connectors on the board (see above for mobo manual download) are as follows: (from the top)
    BLINE_OUT_L ---- LINE OUT_L (These two pins are closed by default with a )
    ========= ---- NC
    BLINE_OUT_R ---- LINE_OUT_R (These are blanked)
    +5VA ---- MICPWR
    AGND ---- MIC2
    Last edited by ErnieK; 06-13-2005 at 07:38 AM.
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

Thread Information