Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: power supply upgrade for bargain basement acer laptop

power supply upgrade for bargain basement acer laptop

I was thinking of buying the bargain basement Acer laptop ($599 after rebate) but my understanding is that the power supply is only good for about 90 minutes. Any ideas on how or if this time can be increased with a supplemental power supply?

Don

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    If you can get a 12V car adapter, they have those automotive jumper units with 12V sockets. I'm not sure how much additional time that would give you, but they are not all that expensive...

Oh, and welcome to the Forums!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

What model are you buying with a 90 minute power supply? Do you mean battery???????
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

I bought a brand new battery for my o-l-d Toshiba with original battery just recently. It went from 1/2 hour to about 2 hours of continuous use, last I tried. Got the new battery off of eBay. I used the cd-rom with the new one but not with the original. So the new one would have run quite a bit longer without the current/battery draining motor use of a cd-rom.

I am not even using the new battery, I use the old one just to keep the terminals from getting dirty and keeping the laptop in convenient shape with no sharp edges etc. The new one is in the pack as a backup only. I'm sure it will be discharged when it finally is needed

Now the Tosh just uses either A/C (120v 60hz), or 12 vdc through a cig lighter.

But I recharge my GPS's nMah AA batteries off from the same socket to keep the GPS working on extended outings, so I can pinpoint where I am at all times.

With the newer vehicles, it's all preinstalled, but my screen is bigger than yours...

Quote Originally Posted by classicsoftware
    What model are you buying with a 90 minute power supply? Do you mean battery???????
    The ad I saw indicated 1.5 hrs of battery life under normal conditions (staples, office depot or compusa, etc.) I also saw an online review of the machine...model number escapes me now...which criticized the battery life. While I'm no expert on laptop batteries, I'd expect 2 or 3 hours in normal use, depending on power demands.

Don

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    You might find some of this interesting:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...p+battery+life
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Thread Information