Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Can't create Emergency Boot Disk in CD format

Can't create Emergency Boot Disk in CD format

I went to the website(http://ebcd.pcministry.com)and after reading the material about it, tried burning a CD after downloading. I created the necessary .iso file and the burning process itself went fine(using Nero). But the CD won't boot even after changing the boot sequence in the BIOS setup.

Was there something I've overlooked?

Difficult to know at this distance and not knowing any details.

Assuming the ".iso" file [about 143,000kB named "ebcd061p.iso"] was properly created...
    Did you use "File->Create CD from Disk Image" [or similar] within "Nero" to burn the CD?
    If all you did was burn the ".iso" file to disk [rather than burning the bootable image], then the CD won't boot.

If you view the contents of the EBCD in Windows Explorer it should look like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, apparently I just burned the .iso file like you said and that it explains it.

Let us know when you get it to successfully boot.

So it took a little "doing" to get it do burn correctly but it boots fine. So I'll just tuck it away and save for a rainy day.

Try using "Image" to make a backup of the C: partition to a file saved on a FAT partition other than C:
    Make a folder to hold it.
    Somewhere like...
    "x:\image\c"
    and name the file something like...
    050727.img
    05 [the year], 07 [the month], 27 [the day].
    Whe making the backup you will be required to type...
    x:\image\c\050727
    The prog doesn't allow you to "Browse" to the location.
    In my case I store mine on G: [a FAT32 partition], therefore x: = G:

Or try using "Scandisk" to scan all your "Drives".

Blog Entries
    Using Nero, the way I've made all my bootable Linux CDs I just open Windows Explorer and double click the ISO file. It either opens Nero or opens the box to choose what program to open it with. Once Nero opens, just lcick Burn and it works perfect every time. I've made Damn Small Linux, Feather Linux, Knoppix, and Ultimate Boot CD that way. I finally just checked the box to let it always use Nero if I double click an ISO file, now I don't have to bother with telling it what program to use.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Try using "Image" to make a backup of the C:
    The prog doesn't allow you to "Browse" to the location.
    I have never bothered to use the Image program that EBCD (may) contain but curiosity got the better of me and so I had a peep. It appears that it is simply a (probably 30day) evaluation edition of ImageForDOS from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

An older edition of EBCD-pro in my possession contains a very old version of this software and a newer edition of EBCD-lite just contains a template to use to include ImageForDOS in a manner akin to installing Partition Magic.

Regardless of the above it could be well worth updating to the latest edition downloaded from TerabyteUnlimited. It supports USB2 (tested on my own system) and Firewire and has other embellishments. You cannot browse for files as such, like one can under windows, but one can choose "File" to go direct to a DOS Partition Drive Letter or choose "Partition" to access all partitions (including NTFS and hidden partitions). For those unfamiliar with DOS remember to use the TAB Key to toggle between the directories and the cursor for the chosen file name; and use the ESC key to "go into reverse".

Drives can be chosen by BIOS or Direct access or USB or Firewire. Data Verification of the images is yet another option included in version 1.91 (which is the one I have). Verification can be simple and quick (presumably using a checksum) or byte for byte. The download also comes with a good pdf support file which includes all the command line switches if that is what one wants to use especially to automate such processes. Image files can be directly saved to both magnetic and optical (atapi, aspi, usb and firewire) media .

I'm not surprised by its quality being a big fan already of BiNG. It's Windows GUI companion ImageForWindows also works very simply and well and like IFD is fully functional trialware. One other accessory definitely worth installing is TBIview. It enables you to explore any created image files from Windows and see their contents and extract/dragNdrop the files inside them; just install it and open the .img files. Installation and uninstallation are both almost instantaneous.

If one decides to purchase the software it seems very cheap compared to any such similar software and note that IFW comes bundled with IFD.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information