Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting: No Beep No Video

Blog Entries

Troubleshooting: No Beep No Video

We have to post these instructions almost daily so I decided to place a detailed tutorial here on how to go about the troubleshooting routine we always recommend when someone has a no boot, no beep, no video situation.

CAUTION:

Be sure and always ground yourself by touching the power supply before handling the motherboard or other components to avoid electrostatic discharge (static electricity, it can damage components). It should be plugged into a properly grounded outlet. I prefer a power strip, so it's always plugged in and still grounded even when the strip is turned off.

The tools needed:

Non-conductive surface, such as a linoleum tabletop, cardboard or rubber mat.
    Small screwdriver.
    Known good power supply.
    Power strip. (not mandatory but helpful if your power supply does not have a primary power switch on back.)

Components needed:

Motherboard
    CPU/fan/heatsink - double check to be SURE the fan is plugged in. 30 seconds without it and the CPU is fried.
    Video card - or onboard, depending on motherboard.
    RAM - I prefer one RAM stick to reduce the number of components that can cause trouble.
    Monitor - Can't see any results without it.
    Keyboard - Not mandatory but very useful if you need to change BIOS settings.
    Speaker - Again not mandatory, but it's helpful to hear a beep code.
    Power Supply - Can't get anywhere without it. Use one you already know is good.

If you don't know what any of these components are, the Component ID thread might help.

Procedure:

Connect the components listed above, check all connections and be sure they are in their proper location and secure. If your motherboard has a small, square 4 pin power connector, your power supply will need one and it should be connected, it is required for proper operation.

If you have already tried the unit inside the case, reseat the RAM and video card a few times to clean up the contacts. This means pull the card out of the slot and put it back in, often 6 or 8 times are needed to clean off oxidation.

Locate the Power On pins on the motherboard and short them briefly with a small screwdriver, that should power up the computer. If everything is properly connected, in working order and contacts are clean, you should see a BIOS screen and hear one beep. If you get no video or beep, switch off the power strip or unplug the power supply to shut down. Reseat video card and RAM. Sometimes this must be done several times, heavy oxidation can be difficult to clean up.

If you still get no beep or video after several tries and have reseated the RAM and video, further troubleshooting is necessary. I won't go into great detail here, but the things to check are:

Video card - try a different one.
    RAM - try a different chip.
    Motherboard - Have it tested by a reputable computer shop.
    CPU - Have it tested by a reputable shop.
    Power supply - A weak power supply can be difficult to sort out, it can be checked with a multimeter or taken to a shop for testing, or purchase a new one. Power supplies aren't very expensive, usually less than half the cost of a motherboard or video card.

That should cover the basics, if I forgot anything or made a mistake, the techs helping out here on the forums please let me know.

Please try to keep replies to this thread to a minimum, so it doesn't get really long and take ages to load.
    Last edited by Paleo Pete; 08-15-2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thank you for the useful info, much appreciated

At some point, I think you had figured out that the OXIDATION on contacts are the culprit. But trying to push and pull the components might be dangerous to someone not so much careful.

Do you have some suggestions on how to clean this contacts with chemicals or other stuffs, so as to minimize the possibility of physical damage?

Good job Pete.
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

Blog Entries
    Do you have some suggestions on how to clean this contacts with chemicals or other stuffs, so as to minimize the possibility of physical damage?
    No not really, electrical contacts can be cleaned by rubbing lightly with a standard pencil eraser, but those won't fit in a RAM or video slot. An eraser can be used on the contacts of a video card or RAM chip, but not the slot. I would be afraid to use aerosol contact cleaner, if it doesn't have time to dry it's not supposed to be electrically conductive, but I'd rather not wet the board down with anything. I don't know of anything like sandpaper or steel wool that would be safe either, so the best method I know of is to simply reseat the components.

Reseating shoudn't be a problem as long as users trying it are careful to not use too much force. Neither RAM or video is hard to install usually, although some do take a bit more force than you might think. In general though it's not often components are damaged that way. We've been advising users here on the forums to reseat various components and connectors for over 4 years and I don't know of any that have been damaged yet, other than a couple with already bent pins on IDE or floppy connectors or motherboard jumpers that had to be straightened.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Only one thing I would add Pete. It might be a little daunting for a newbie to consider touching the electrical contacts on the motherboard with a screwdriver. Most cases have the power button wire clearly marked. My suggestion would be while messing with the speaker wire to also connect the power button if the thought of touching the contacts gives them pause.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Blog Entries
    Good point Whyzman, but a lot of the time the wires won't reach outside the case. Due to the physical arrangment of the wires in the case, you often get power cable to the motherboard OR front panel connectors, not both. That means pull the power supply or use a screwdriver.

I use a switch I wired for that purpose, it's a momentary contact switch on wires a foot long with a spare connector soldered to the other end. Most home users don't have that or need it, not many are tinkering with computers on a daily basis or have a repair shop in the front room, and really wouldn't have a need or such a switch...For those folks, if the wires inside the case won't reach, something like a screwdriver is the next best way to power up without having to remove a power supply. Usually the other pins will not be affected if the wrong two are shorted, they run lights and speaker. Power on and reset are the only two that would do anything if shorted, and reset only if it's already running.

I'm sure it might be worrisome for an inexperienced user, I've been doing this a long time and I still don't like that first time I turn a system on. But it is pretty safe to use a screwdriver, as long as you don't poke it through the CPU fan...

My Photography

Good point Pete! I guess I would just include the optional procedure if the case wires are long enough to do so. The Enlight cases I routinely use for builds have plenty of length to the wiring harness...I didn't realize others were being so "chintzy!"

Blog Entries
    Right you are, some do have the length to reach, others don't.

My Photography

When getting NO POST during a bare-bones boot, it can be useful to remove all RAM and restart to see if POST then runs and gives RAM-failure warning beeps.
    If that happens I'd conclude that the RAM is preventing the POST [perhaps faulty].
    I came across one case where that was so.

If still getting NO POST with RAM removed, might it then be useful to disconnect the keyboard also?

what do you do when all that dosn;t work? i've pulled the jumpers...power off! pulled the vid card and all the others all the lights come on for the dvd and floppy and stay on won't open? HD spins no beeps no screen nothing? And the cpu gets warm? I'm realllly new at this stuff and at the end of my posts!

Hello Christopherjell and welcome Forums!

Please begin your own thread in the Hardware Forum giving all the details of your problem. "Piggybacking" on someone else's problem is confusing and does not help us to focus on providing you the attention you desire...

"If that happens I'd conclude that the RAM is preventing the POST [perhaps faulty].
    On second thoughts I'd like to correct that statement:
    It's more likely that the RAM is ok and a BIOS test AFTER the RAM test is causing the POST to halt without any beeps generated.
    Removing the RAM and getting RAM test failure beeps is a good way to check that the POST is indeed running.

complete guide to system not booting

I found another useful guide on diagnosing system wont boot problems
    the link is here LINK REMOVED
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 01-21-2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: link removal

xbocker,
    Sticky posts are not put there to post links to your sites.

you can use THINNER to clean that ...it is the best PCB cleaner ....

no beep, no post

Something else that might be helpful - on my system, if i try to reboot when my mp3 player is connected through a USB hub, it will freeze at the inital BIOS screen. As soon as I disconnect the player from the hub, it will continue through the boot process. Hope this is applicable to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    "If that happens I'd conclude that the RAM is preventing the POST [perhaps faulty].
    On second thoughts I'd like to correct that statement:
    It's more likely that the RAM is ok and a BIOS test AFTER the RAM test is causing the POST to halt without any beeps generated.
    Removing the RAM and getting RAM test failure beeps is a good way to check that the POST is indeed running.
    So I pulled the ram. No beeps that that then mean teh POST is not running?

Thanks for those valuble tips. May come in handy for me.

1. "So I pulled the ram. No beeps. That then mean the POST is not running?"
    There are a number of possible causes for no beeps as follows:
    (a) The POST doesn't start to run.

(b) The POST does start to run, and continues to run for a short time [a few tests], but doesn't reach [halts prior to] the point at which the failure of the 1st RAM test would generate beeps.
    This might be caused by (c) as follows:

(c) The POST halts at the failure of some test [prior to the 1st RAM test], and that failure is designed to generate no beeps.

(d) The internal speaker isn't functional, so you hear no beeps even if they are generated by the POST.

PC Configuration
    K8N MSI MotherBoard
    2G RAM DDR2 300
    9800GT 1024Mb DDR3 Video card
    HDD 200G Seagate Barracuda
    Power supply 600W

Right i got a major problem and i have no ideea what is the cause.
    I moved my pc from one room to another and now he dosent want to start.
    No sound and the monitor show "No Input"
    I let it like this for about 40 minutes and then he start to boot and log in to XP.
    Soon as i tried to go online i got the blue screen of death.
    I took off the HDD and the RAM and he did not make the specific sounds.
    I have reset the BIOS and still nothing.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks a lot.

I would start by checking all cable connections. Perhaps something came loose during the move...

All the cables are ok. The fans are running, i got the blue led, the HDD and the DVD are running.
    But i get a black screen

when i start my pc all things seems to be running(cd,dvd drivers) and keyboard lights on and stuck..on the monitor no signal message displayed..but after trying several times by restarting or by shutting down it gets to work perfectly without changing any harware component...why meeeee...

jacskumara, if you are wanting help with your problem, please start a new thread detailing the problem, include make/model of the computer, monitor and video card.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information