Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: No Internet

No Internet

Hello All,

I need some serious help here. Here is my problem

I have a PC on which I have just had to re-install Windows XP Pro. All is OK but each IO connect to the internet, my PC restarts!

The connection goes fine and I can connect for a while. After that, a window appears indicating that "LSA Shell (Export Version" has crashed and this is followed by another window indicating that the system will restart.

What can I do?

Patrick

Since you just reinstalled Windows anyways, I would just try and reinstall it one more time. It is possible something went awry during the last install. Then once you have installed it, make sure and install your anti-virus application before connecting to the Internet for the first time. See if that helps. If not, then we will need to pursue a possible hardware-related problem.

What has occurred is a worm infection after the reload of the OS, possibly Sasser or SDbot.
    Try downloading Stinger onto a clean PC, transfer to a clean floppy, write protect it, and then boot the infected PC into SAFE mode and scan the PC.

You need to have a firewall and AntiVirus on the PC before connecting it to the Internet for any patches or upgrades when you load a Windows OS.

Sasser and its cousins can gain access to your system very quickly once you connect to the internet unless your system is (a) adequately firewalled and (b) patched.

Some details at http://forums.techguy.org/t226564.html

There is no point is cleaning the infection and then going on line again with an unpatched system.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information