Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I press f8 continuously but cannot enter into safe mode HELP!

I press f8 continuously but cannot enter into safe mode HELP!

Please Help!

I am trying to enter into safe mode and I am frantically tapping f8 when the system boots and nothing happens, its so frustrating because I must have tried this about 8 times last night and to no avail.

I am using a cordless keyboard and mouse (logitec mx). I wondering if it is the keyboard, the reason I say this is because when I restart the pc using the restart button it automatically goes in to safe mode. However, none of the arrow buttons work, in fact none of the buttons work.

I cannot enter the bios either when it prompts to 'press delete to enter bios'.Is there anyway around this or do I have to buy another keyboard just to enter safe mode?

I suspect your keyboard does require a driver to work and it is not loading until Windows loads, so you are stuck... Is your keyboard receiver plugged into a PS2 port or USB... Mine is plugged into the PS2 and I have no trouble using the keyboard prior to Windows opening... It came with an adapter for that purpose and the manual recommended that it will probably work better plugged into the PS2.... If that doesn't do it, a cheap PS2 keyboard can be had for a couple of bucks...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

If that isn't the cause, another possibility...

Does your keyboard and mouse need to be tuned to the reciever?
    With mine I must press the button on the reciever, then [within 10 seconds] blip the button on the bottom of the mouse/keyboard.
    If that isn't done they cannot communicate with each other.
    Once done all's well until the next time the batteries are replaced, then it/they must be retuned.

One possibility to keep in mind

I don't know anything about the Logitech keyboard that you've got, but I have a wireless Microsoft combo that splits off into ps/2 connectors at the receiver end. I was getting into the BIOS setup, but couldn't get mine to boot in safe mode either.

Turns out the function keys are dual purpose, and the keyboard sends the non function-key commands by default. There is a key marked F-Lock that I have to click in order for the F8 command to register. Whenever I reboot this button defaults to off. I have to keep an eye on it and time it just right though, because if I hit the lock too early in the boot cycle, it will get shut off during startup. Too late and I miss the opportunity to get the boot menu.

This wouldn't have any impact on your delete key working, but keep it in mind for later. It might be useful. Also I've found that repeatedly pressing F8 doesn't always work for me. If I just keep it held down, eventually my bios beeps at me like "chill, I get it already!" That always works.

I do use a wireless Logitech and it does not seem to have that feature, so I suspect it is the port issue...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Another way of getting into safe mode is to press F5. This takes you straight there without the menu
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Also while Windows is running you can set it so it goes to the boot menu every time. Click Start, then Run, and type MSCONFIG. In the first screen click the Advanced button and look for an option to "Enable Boot Menu".

That should display a boot menu for 30 seconds at every startup so you can choose Safe Mode if you wish. Otherwise I think this is the keyboard itself, some wireless models will not work until Windows (and therefore drivers) loads. The only cure I know of for that is buy or borrow a standard PS/2 keyboard. In the future you might consider getting one and keeping it on hand for emergencies. Some USB keyboards do the same, no way of using them until Windows loads...
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

"That should display a boot menu for 30 seconds at every startup"
    I have mine set to display for 3 seconds at every startup.
    I figure it's worth the cost of a 3 second delay in getting into Windows.

And I use the keyboard USB to PS/2 conversion plug and connect to the PS/2 connection at the back of the unit.
    My wireless signal receiver has a cable coming from it that splits in two;
    the one for the keyboard has a USB plug on it [with a converter to PS/2 that can be used or not],
    and the one for the mouse is PS/2.

What's your arrangement Verachion?

I am running a usb logitech wireless keyboard and mouse the keyboard is usb and the mouse is ps2, both connectors run to a wireless unit.

I have found out that I have some kind of driver issue, I have just this minute plugged a serial ps2 keyboard in to the pc and this does not work either. I have managed to get to bios and safe mode before however, it appears that something is amiss?

it seems that the drivers only load when xp loads, do you think this has been caused by zone alarm or by an antivirius set up. It has only started to do this recently. Is there a way of turning the keyboard drivers on and off on startup?

Please advise.,

Also I have entered msconfig and there is no advanced option I am running windows xp.

I need a clear picture of what's happening...

"I am trying to enter into safe mode and I am frantically tapping f8 when the system boots and nothing happens"
    So at startup the keyboard doesn't work.
    Does the system then boot normally into Windows and does the keyboard then work?

"when I restart the pc using the restart button it automatically goes in to safe mode"
    Do you mean the software "Restart" within Windows?
    Or a hardware "Reset" button on the case.

"none of the arrow buttons work, in fact none of the buttons work."
    Do any of the keyboard buttons work at any time under any circumstances?

"I have found out that I have some kind of driver issue"
    How so?

"I have managed to get to bios and safe mode before however"
    You mean before this problem arose all was well and normal, but now the keyboard doesn't work [but does once you get into Windows, or doesn't work at any time?]

"it seems that the drivers only load when xp loads"
    You mean the keyboard works once into Windows?

"It has only started to do this recently."
    Did anything change that might have caused this?

"Is there a way of turning the keyboard drivers on and off on startup?"
    I don't think so, but perhaps its needs are not being met and it isn't enable or isn't working.
    I notice that my keyboard comes under the PnP BIOS on the hardware tree.
    Is your PnP BIOS "Recources Controlled By : Auto"?
    I notice the following steps during my Phoenix BIOS POST:
    14h Initialize keyboard controller
    22h 1-3-1-3 Test 8742 Keyboard Controller
    52h Test keyboard
    54h Set key click if enabled
    5Ah Display prompt "Press F2 to enter SETUP"
    70h Display error messages
    72h Check for configuration errors
    76h Check for keyboard errors
    86h Re-initialize onboard I/O ports.
    87h Configure Motherboard Configurable Devices (optional)
    8Bh Test and initialize PS/2 mouse
    A2h Check key lock
    A4h Initialize typematic rate
    A8h Erase F2 prompt
    AAh Scan for F2 key stroke
    B0h Check for errors
    B2h POST done - prepare to boot operating system
    B4h 1 One short beep before boot
    F6h Boot to Mini DOS
    F7h Boot to Full DOS

You hear no POST error beeps, so either all is well, or your BIOS POST generates no errors for any keyboard faults/failures.
    I assume the BIOS is capable of controlling the keyboard until it hands over to the Windows keyboard drivers.

Hi thanks for your time and effort in your reply if I may clarify:

"I am trying to enter into safe mode and I am frantically tapping f8 when the system boots and nothing happens"

The keyboad doesn't work until windows fully loads therefore that leads me to believe that there is some kind of driver issue on start up, by that I mean, (its as if windows doesn't recognise any keyboard until it has started).

"when I restart the pc using the restart button it automatically goes in to safe mode"

A. When I press the "reset" button on the case.

I don't think so, but perhaps its needs are not being met and it isn't enable or isn't working.
    I notice that my keyboard comes under the PnP BIOS on the hardware tree.
    Is your PnP BIOS "Recources Controlled By : Auto"?
    I notice the following steps during my Phoenix BIOS POST:
    14h Initialize keyboard controller
    22h 1-3-1-3 Test 8742 Keyboard Controller
    52h Test keyboard
    54h Set key click if enabled
    5Ah Display prompt "Press F2 to enter SETUP"
    70h Display error messages
    72h Check for configuration errors
    76h Check for keyboard errors
    86h Re-initialize onboard I/O ports.
    87h Configure Motherboard Configurable Devices (optional)
    8Bh Test and initialize PS/2 mouse
    A2h Check key lock
    A4h Initialize typematic rate
    A8h Erase F2 prompt
    AAh Scan for F2 key stroke
    B0h Check for errors
    B2h POST done - prepare to boot operating system
    B4h 1 One short beep before boot
    F6h Boot to Mini DOS
    F7h Boot to Full DOS

I do not fully understand what you are saying, sorry. my computer terminology / education only spans so far.

"The keyboad doesn't work until windows fully loads"
    It's like Windows manages to solve whatever problem is preventing the keyboard from working when the BIOS then DOS is in control.
    I suspect a resource problem rather than the BIOS [driver] control of the keyboard.

"its as if windows doesn't recognise any keyboard until it has started"
    Before Windows loads, DOS is in control [for a very short time], and before that [for a much longer period] the BIOS is in control and operating the keyboard.

"When I press the "reset" button on the case [it automatically goes in to safe mode]"
    It's as if Windows knows there is a problem that needs sorted. Perhaps a resource conflict that "Configuration Manager" with its "Arbitrator" has managed to resolve, but it doesn't like.

"sorry. my computer terminology / education only spans so far"
    Join the club. I constantly wish I knew more.

"I do not fully understand what you are saying"
    What I was trying to show is that long before Windows ever gets involved, The BIOS [in the form of the POST] is carrying out various checks on the keyboard [the controller, the keyboard, configurations for its use, keyboard errors], and the BIOS and the keyboard controller talk to each other, set up effective communication and the BIOS then is in control of the keyboard.
    But this is failing on your PC and only when Windows takes over [not DOS?] is the problem at least partially solved, and the keyboard works.
    Assuming that there's nothing wrong with the keyboard itself [because it works in Windows], I'd guess it's a bad BIOS configuration setting causing the problem.
    My device manager [View Devices By Connection] shows my keyboard [check yours] as coming under the control of the "Plug and Play BIOS".
    Since my PnP BIOS is set to "Auto" [in BIOS Setup], and my mouse works, there is obviously no problems allocating resources to my keyboard [when under the BIOS's control].
    Perhaps on your PC some other item[s] of hardware is/are creating a resource conflict that the BIOS cannot resolve, and the keyboard doesn't work until Windows sorts that out to the benefit of the keyboard.
    My keyboard is given IRQ 01 and a couple of memory locations for input/output.
    You wouldn't happen to have IRQ's allocated to "Legacy ISA" do you?
    Any so allocated are unavailable for allocation by the PnP system, and that leaves the BIOS with less room for flexibility.

Thread Information