Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: restoring .lnk file associations

restoring .lnk file associations

i know i'm supposed to use the registry editor, but the problem is how do i open the registry editor? when i used the task manager to open it, it said windows couldn't open this file... help me plz...thanks

enter regedit in the run box to open the Registry Editor
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

i still cant... the same thing happens.... it says windows cannot open this file...maybe u can tell me which programme i can select from the list?

Give this a look see - Link, hope it helps.
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

haha... the problem is i cant even open the registry editor, let alone restore the .lnk file associations...someone plz help

What OS are you using w2k or XP ?
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

Go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and try restoring both the exe and the lnk file associations.

Next you could try typing both cmd and command in the run box to open a command prompt window. Then enter C:\Windows\regedit.exe at a Command Prompt.

If they doesnt work it may be because the .exe file extensions are not working. So go to your Windows folder, Right Click on regedit.exe and choose Copy and then Paste the copy back into the Windows folder. Rename the resulting "Copy of regedit.exe" file to regedit.com. Then go the the run box or a command prompt and enter C:\Windows\regedit.com

If still no luck you may have to run a repair installation as per http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

ok i'm totally confused... i'm using windows XP. Can someone guide me through the process?

1. Go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm [the link Paul gave].
    2. Click on "LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)".
    3. Download the "Linkfile_fix.zip" file to [any handy folder on] your PC.
    4. Unzip the file = "Linkfile_fix.reg".
    5. Right-click on the file and click Merge. That will add the registry settings that are contained as text within the file. I assume those are suitable settings that WILL work.

To protect your configuration you should have a backup.
    WindowsXP should have "Restore Points" that you could use.
    Additionally you could backup your registry and/or your whole C: partition.

hmmm... this is bad... when i extract the file, it is in data format. when i right click on it i cant find " merge". any idea whats wrong?

Does the file have a ".reg" extension? [Should be "Linkfile_fix.reg"]
    ".reg" files should be registered within the registry to be opened by "Regedit.exe" and when you right-click on the file the "Context Menu" is constructed by the Windows shell [Explorer.exe] reading the registry settings.
    The fact that the file has a ".reg" extension determines what's included in the Context Menu, and Merge should be the "Default Action" in bold at the top of the list.

You should be able to read the contents of the file using a text editor [I use a link to Wordpad in my "Send To" folder to right click on the file and send it to Wordpad].

I'm wondering if you should "cut the Gordion knot" [Like Alexander the great] by doing a "repair reinstall" of Windows.

easiest way to remove the associaTION IS THIS

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...and-Vista.html

JUST CLICK Remove .lnk file association AND THATS IT

Are you trying to awaken Rip Van Winkle? This thread is nearly 5 years old!

Good find but the mods won't like you posting a link with your very first post.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thread Information