Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: New

New

Hello everyone I am fairly new to the whole Pc thing I've never had a gaming Pc or anything technically fancy, but I've been getting more and more interested in Pc gaming. I am looking to buy a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2, and I was wondering if it is powerful enough to run all the great games such as Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Quake 4?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! The Dell would run the games if you got it with the right specs. BUT, people here, myself included, aren't Dell fans. My suggestion would be to find a local place to build you one, or build one yourself. Look over Saphalline's sticky, and hang around enough and you will learn what type of specs to look for.
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Welcome to PC Guide Forum!

Hockey Man is right. Most if not all of the members here 'dislike' Dells quite a lot, in fact it may even start a rant or two sometimes. You can build a better system for the same or little more $$ than you would pay for a Dell.

Dude you just dont want a Dell!
    When Life Speeds By, Downshift!

Blog Entries
    Yes, there have been many rants on Dell and the other OEM's here on the forums. I shall not start another one right now - just do a search for "Dell rant" and you will find all you need to know.

If you aren't comfortable building your own, there are much better places to get a gaming rig than Dell. Some good online gaming rig builders:

Alienware
    Voodoo PC
    Falcon Northwest
    Hypersonic
    ABS
    CyberPower

I'd sooner rant about notebooks as gaming rigs than I would about Dells....though I'll rant about them too if you like.

It's also worth mentioning that several of the links Saph listed (especially FNW and Voodoo) are so ridiculously overpriced that you could buy two inspirons for their price. You get some fantastic quality and service from those places, but in the end they're still using the same parts you can put together for a quarter of the price.

But again, I'll just leave this useless post as a rant about using a laptop as a gaming rig. They NEVER perform as well as a desktop, notebooks are a lot easier to drop on the floor than desktops, they're more expensive, and are far more difficult to service/upgrade.

Give any builder worth his/her salt the money you'd shell on a Gen 2 and they'll build you a rig that'll chew those games up and spit em' out.

Thread Information