Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: no video, no keyboard or mouse, no loud beeps

no video, no keyboard or mouse, no loud beeps

I have 3 year old Dell Dimension 8200, and it just decided to give me trouble. I returned to it the other day and jiggled the mouse to bring it out of standby. Getting no reaction, pressed the keyboard (both are USB). Still nothing. I noticed my optical mouse light was not on and that pressing Num Lock had no effect on my keyboard. I turned off the computer, turned it back on, and still nothing. The fans come on, the light goes on, the drives start up, I can eject both optical drives, and my iPod charges when I plug it into Firewire. There is a quiet beep when I start up the computer, but nothing else. I tried removing RAM, and it gives me plenty of beeps and no video comes up. I removed the video card (nvidia geforce4) and there were no beeps. I tried to disconnect the drives to see if I could get just a BIOS screen to come up, but no luck. What else should I try? Is my video card dead, should I try a new battery, or could it be something worse? Thanks!

ye that has happened wit my old computer try reconnectin the keyboard and mouse and u know the chord that goes from the keyboard to the computer where it starts from the keyboard jiggle it around cuz thur culd be a problem thur its happened wit my comp no big deal it worked fine after

How would that explain my monitor and mouse not working either? I guess I'll give it a try, but I'm not sure how it would work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Preus
    I removed the video card (nvidia geforce4) and there were no beeps.
    Does it have onboard video or is this it? If you have a known-good vid card, try that. Also, try that GF4 in another computer to make sure it still works. Do you know if the fan on it still spins?

It's definitely sounding like a video-related problem.

I am not entirely sure if I have onboard video, as I did not put together the computer and I have always had this video card. I couldn't really tell if it was still spinning... should I be able to hear or at least feel it if I put my ear or finger next to the exhaust of the fan? I thought of the fan earlier because I figured if the chip wasn't being cooled then bad things could happen, but I didn't know if I would even be able to tell. Also, will the fan spin if the video card is not initialized, i.e. if the BIOS doesn't get to the card will power still go to the fan? I don't have another card handy at the moment, but I might be able to borrow one from work on Monday. I guess my card is getting old anyway... this summer for the first time my video card was not good enough and it was a little sad. Thanks for the help!

Download a copy of my diagnostic flowcharts from here
    http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk/down...anderdiags.zip
    and print them to leaf through.
    Begin on the STARTUP chart.

You have a single short beep, so the POST runs.

Since, despite the POST running, you have no display on screen it's possible that:
    1. Your video card failed to be enabled during the BIOS POST.
    or
    2. The video card has been enabled and is functioning, but the signal it is sending out isn't reaching the monitor because of...
    a. The signal cable has come adrift or is faulty.
    b. There's no power reaching the monitor.

Why are the mouse and keyboard not being initialized I wonder?
    That is part of the POST routine.

Do you see the LED's blinking on the optical drives, HDD, keyboard, or are they constantly glowing and unblinking.
    Take careful note of what those do; blinking indicates communication between the device and the BIOS.

I know the monitor is getting power because the amber standby light is on and when I turn it on without the computer the display information pops up. The LEDs on the optical drives and HDD come on with startup then turn back off. The HDD is clearly spinning. I pulled out the modem, ethernet, and sound cards, allowing me to see that the fan on my video card was NOT spinning. I don't think there is any reason that my cables should be faulty, but if my card is not cooling it better not be functioning. The question is whether the fan not spinning is the cause of my problem, the symptom of my problem, or both. Coud it just be a bum video card? Would that stop the USB ports from working?

Blog Entries
    If the vid card fan isn't spinning, there are two possibilities:

- The vid card is initializing during the POST but is getting too hot after that and is shutting down. If this is the case, replacing the cooling fan would fix this.

- The vid card fan died long ago, and now your vid card is fried. In which case you need a new vid card.

I am more inclined to believe the latter, as I would imagine that the video card could be on for a few seconds and show me something before overheating, unless the fact that the fan isn't working tells the vid card to stop as a safety precaution, which sounds reasonable but I'm not sure is the case. It might be almost time to upgrade my card anyway, so I guess I'll get a new one. Any suggestions for a decent card between $100-120?

1. Is the POST running or not?
    2. Is the beep you hear the POST beep?
    3. The LED's coming on don't indicate communication with the BIOS POST.
    I have no HDD connected to my on-board IDE controller, but the LED for the board still comes on glowing constantly untill some time later in the POST when it goes off.
    By contrast, the connected CD-RW LED blinks whilst in communication with the BIOS.
    4. I'm wondering if the POST never initialises your video card, so no need to enable power to the fan.
    5. It seems like your mouse and keyboard are not initialised either.
    6. The only thing suggesting that POST runs is the beeps you get when you remove all your RAM.
    7 Perhaps something is causing the POST to halt part way through; after RAM is tested. So the absence of RAM is causing beeps, but the other hardware items are never initialised? In which case why so? Video card not properly seated?

Here's a generic Phoenix BIOS POST routine:

Code_Beeps_POST Routine Description
    02h Verify Real Mode
    03h Disable Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI)
    04h Get CPU type
    06h Initialize system hardware
    07h Disable shadow and execute code from the ROM.
    08h Initialize chipset with initial POST values
    09h Set IN POST flag
    0Ah Initialize CPU registers
    0Bh Enable CPU cache
    0Ch Initialize caches to initial POST values
    0Eh Initialize I/O component
    0Fh Initialize the local bus IDE
    10h Initialize Power Management
    11h Load alternate registers with initial POST values
    12h Restore CPU control word during warm boot
    13h Initialize PCI Bus Mastering devices
    14h Initialize keyboard controller
    16h 1-2-2-3 BIOS ROM checksum
    17h Initialize cache before memory Auto size
    18h 8254 timer initialization
    1Ah 8237 DMA controller initialization
    1Ch Reset Programmable Interrupt Controller
    20h 1-3-1-1 Test DRAM refresh
    22h 1-3-1-3 Test 8742 Keyboard Controller

24h Set ES segment register to 4 GB
    28h Auto size DRAM
    29h Initialize POST Memory Manager
    2Ah Clear 512 kB base RAM
    2Ch 1-3-4-1 RAM failure on address line xxxx*
    2Eh 1-3-4-3 RAM failure on data bits xxxx* of low byte of
    memory bus

2Fh Enable cache before system BIOS shadow
    32h Test CPU bus-clock frequency
    33h Initialize Phoenix Dispatch Manager
    36h Warm start shut down
    38h Shadow system BIOS ROM
    3Ah Auto size cache
    3Ch Advanced configuration of chipset registers
    3Dh Load alternate registers with CMOS values
    41h Initialize extended memory for RomPilot
    42h Initialize interrupt vectors
    45h POST device initialization
    46h 2-1-2-3 Check ROM copyright notice
    47h Initialize I20 support
    48h Check video configuration against CMOS
    49h Initialize PCI bus and devices
    4Ah Initialize all video adapters in system
    4Bh QuietBoot start (optional)
    4Ch Shadow video BIOS ROM
    4Eh Display BIOS copyright notice
    4Fh Initialize MultiBoot
    50h Display CPU type and speed
    51h Initialize EISA board
    52h Test keyboard
    54h Set key click if enabled
    55h Enable USB devices
    58h 2-2-3-1 Test for unexpected interrupts
    59h Initialize POST display service
    5Ah Display prompt "Press F2 to enter SETUP"
    5Bh Disable CPU cache
    5Ch Test RAM between 512 and 640 kB
    60h Test extended memory
    62h Test extended memory address lines
    64h Jump to UserPatch1
    66h Configure advanced cache registers
    67h Initialize Multi Processor APIC
    68h Enable external and CPU caches
    69h Setup System Management Mode (SMM) area
    6Ah Display external L2 cache size
    6Bh Load custom defaults (optional)
    6Ch Display shadow-area message
    6Eh Display possible high address for UMB recovery
    70h Display error messages
    72h Check for configuration errors
    76h Check for keyboard errors
    7Ch Set up hardware interrupt vectors
    7Dh Initialize Intelligent System Monitoring
    7Eh Initialize coprocessor if present
    80h Disable onboard Super I/O ports and IRQs
    81h Late POST device initialization
    82h Detect and install external RS232 ports
    83h Configure non-MCD IDE controllers
    84h Detect and install external parallel ports
    85h Initialize PC-compatible PnP ISA devices
    86h Re-initialize onboard I/O ports.
    87h Configure Motherboard Configurable Devices
    (optional)
    88h Initialize BIOS Data Area
    89h Enable Non-Maskable Interrupts (NMIs)
    8Ah Initialize Extended BIOS Data Area
    8Bh Test and initialize PS/2 mouse
    8Ch Initialize floppy controller
    8Fh Determine number of ATA drives (optional)
    90h Initialize hard-disk controllers
    91h Initialize local-bus hard-disk controllers
    92h Jump to UserPatch2
    93h Build MPTABLE for multi-processor boards
    95h Install CD ROM for boot
    96h Clear huge ES segment register
    97h Fix up Multi Processor table
    98h 1-2 Search for option ROMs. One long, two short
    beeps on checksum failure
    99h Check for SMART Drive (optional)
    9Ah Shadow option ROMs
    9Ch Set up Power Management
    9Dh Initialize security engine (optional)
    9Eh Enable hardware interrupts
    9Fh Determine number of ATA and SCSI drives
    A0h Set time of day
    A2h Check key lock
    A4h Initialize typematic rate
    A8h Erase F2 prompt
    AAh Scan for F2 key stroke
    ACh Enter SETUP
    AEh Clear Boot flag
    B0h Check for errors
    B1h Inform RomPilot about the end of POST.
    B2h POST done - prepare to boot operating system
    B4h 1 One short beep before boot
    B5h Terminate QuietBoot (optional)
    B6h Check password (optional)
    B7h Initialize ACPI BIOS
    B9h Prepare Boot
    BAh Initialize SMBIOS
    BBh Initialize PnP Option ROMs
    BCh Clear parity checkers
    BDh Display MultiBoot menu
    BEh Clear screen (optional)
    BFh Check virus and backup reminders
    C0h Try to boot with INT 19
    C1h Initialize POST Error Manager (PEM)
    C2h Initialize error logging
    C3h Initialize error display function
    C4h Initialize system error handler
    C5h PnPnd dual CMOS (optional)
    C6h Initialize note dock (optional)
    C7h Initialize note dock late
    C8h Force check (optional)
    C9h Extended checksum (optional)
    CAh Redirect Int 15h to enable remote keyboard
    CBh Redirect Int 13h to Memory Technologies
    Devices such as ROM, RAM, PCMCIA, and
    serial disk
    CCh Redirect Int 10h to enable remote serial video
    CDh Re-map I/O and memory for PCMCIA
    CEh Initialize digitizer and display message
    D2h Unknown interrupt
    The following are for boot block in Flash
    ROM
    E0h Initialize the chipset
    E1h Initialize the bridge
    E2h Initialize the CPU
    E3h Initialize system timer
    E4h Initialize system I/O
    E5h Check force recovery boot
    E6h Checksum BIOS ROM
    E7h Go to BIOS
    E8h Set Huge Segment
    E9h Initialize Multi Processor
    EAh Initialize OEM special code
    EBh Initialize PIC and DMA
    ECh Initialize Memory type
    EDh Initialize Memory size
    EEh Shadow Boot Block
    EFh System memory test
    F0h Initialize interrupt vectors
    F1h Initialize Run Time Clock
    F2h Initialize video
    F3h Initialize System Management Manager
    F4h Output one beep
    F5h Clear Huge Segment
    F6h Boot to Mini DOS
    F7h Boot to Full DOS

Ok, here is some more info for you diagnosticians. My keyboard is plugged into a USB port. When everything is inserted, Num Lock doesn't turn on. When I take out the video card, Num Lock comes on with startup. Here is where it gets interesting. If I leave everything else in, the keyboard turns off after about 20 seconds. If I disconnect the optical drives from the motherboard then the light stays on. If both the optical drives are plugged in, regardless of what else is in, the light will turn off. However, if only one of the drives is plugged in the light stays on, and it doesn't matter which one. I find this rather curious, but maybe someone knows what this means.

Here's what I've noticed with my own system:
    1. The drive LED's come on during POST.
    2. If they glow solid, there's no communication between the BIOS and the device. These stop glowing [switch off] when the POST completes.
    3. If there is communication between the BIOS and the drives during POST they blink/flicker.
    4. On my older PC that has "Num Lock", "Caps Lock" & "Scroll Lock" LED's, all three briefly flash on when the "Power-On" button is pressed, then immediately switch off for the period of the POST [on for a few 10ths of a second].

"the keyboard turns off after about 20 seconds"
    I think this means the keyboard isn't communicating [no connection?] with the BIOS and the LED's switch off at the end of the POST [POST completes?] having failed to be initialised.

The remainder of the signs I'm not sure of.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, wish I knew more.

Blog Entries
    Sounds odd, but it could be drive issues with Dell's BIOS specifically. I've seen many OEM systems that just will never complete POST without connecting the drives that are "expected" to be connected (ie the original drive configuration).

On the other hand, the symptoms you're describing could also be a power supply issue. The only way to be certain is to test the components in other systems.

It's going to be useful if you can get hold of a PS2 keyboard and mouse. (cheap enough - you don't need anything fancy)
    See if the problem occurs then.
    If you can get into bios, try the 'load failsafe defaults' or whatever safety feature is there (there is usually one in each BIOS)
    ALso make sure that the system can use a USB keyboard & mouse (3 year old PCs will probably have a specific setting in BIOS for this) and that the graphics card isn't set to use any advanced settings.

Ok, so I acquired a digital voltmeter from my lab today, so when I go home I'm going to test my power supply. Apparently I should be getting 5 volts out of any spare power supply connectors when everything is connected, and if I read less than that then the power supply might not be strong enough to run my video card. I'll also try and get some PS/2 input devices, but I couldn't get my hands on a video card. You'll get an update tonight.

TESTING ATX POWER VOLTAGES

See this http://www.ochardware.com/articles/p.../psuvolt2.html
    And this http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread...496#post152496

Black = ground
    Red = +5 volts
    White = -5 volts
    Yellow = +12 volts
    Blue = -12 volts
    Orange = +3.3 volts (?)
    Green = power on

Turn the power on. The fans should at least come on so that you know you have power.

Turn on the voltmeter and set it to measure DC voltage. Start with an IDE power connector that is not used. Place the black lead of the voltmeter in the hole of the connector that has a black wire (ground). Connect the red lead of the voltmeter first to the yellow hole and then to the red hole. The voltmeter should read +12v and +5v respectively.

The other voltages may usually be measured at the motherboard power connector by simply sliding the red multimeter test probe down the hole where each colour wire goes (with the black probe connected to any black wire as before). Really you only need to check the orange wire for 3.3 volts at this connector. If +12, +5, and +3.3 volts are all okay, then your power supply is probably fine.

Unfortunately, a low voltage measured in this way may mean a bad PSU or that some other component (motherboard, etc.) has a short and is pulling the voltage down. Therefore, the main value of measuring voltages is to eliminate the PSU as a source of the problem (if it has normal voltages).

The voltages are normal... I can't think of anything else to test until I get a hold of another vid card. If it was anything other than the video I could troubleshoot my BIOS, but unless anyone can tell me a specific order of key presses I think I'm out of luck. I may have to bite the bullet and have a professional take a look at it.

Have you managed to try any PS2 keyboards/mice yet?
    I've had a look at the Dell site regarding your machine:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...l=en&cs=&s=gen
    which may be of help. although it's a bit scanty.

Blog Entries
    Also check it for Bad Capacitors. I think a bad video card is more likely, but bad caps cause some really weird problems sometimes...I just fixed one with almost identical symptoms, no video or mouse, no beep, drives would try to access then it would just sit there and stare at me like I'm stupid...Replaced two blown caps and it works fine now.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

i have the same problem, my computer froze up, and i restart it and the hd powers up the cpu fan starts and the lights go on, but it sits and does nothin... no video or anything and after about 10mins of bein on it turns off.. no clue y, tryed a new video card and it does the same thing.....

Thread Information