Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: clock speed question

clock speed question

is 2.5-3-3-7 running at 160 MHz better or worse than 3-3-3-8 running at 200MHz

Blog Entries
    Depends on the system, and if the RAM can hit those timings. Or are you talking about two different RAM modules?

pls Saph =) ?

Quote Originally Posted by odannyboy000
    2.5-3-3-7 running at 160 MHz 3-3-3-8 running at 200MHz
    do i have to post a new thread or can i just ask the meaning of the above numbers?

The numbers refer to the timings of RAM. For a discussion on this go to this thread:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34794
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge." - Benjamin Disraeli

www.pcmarketinggroup.net

my computer can support 2.5 latency at 160 and 3 at 200. i was wondering if they are pretty much the same.....or if one is better. right now i actually have one running at 3 and one running at 2.5, and obviously since they are mixed they all run at 2.5. so which is faster, or are they equivalent?

Blog Entries
    Well, look at the numbers.

2.5 on a 160MHz clock = 1.5625 * 10^-9.

3 on a 200MHz clock = 1.5000 * 10^-9.

According to the raw numbers, a CAS of 3 using DDR400 speeds is better. Whether or not your particular system sees any benefit depends on its hardware.

FSB is going to have an effect, as well as 1T or 2T timings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_G
    FSB is going to have an effect, as well as 1T or 2T timings.
    Yes, exactly. The total FSB/HT Link bandwidth will have an effect on performance between these two settings, as well as if your particular system can run DDR400 at 1T command timing.

It depends on many many factors. Kind of like the question "Is a 3.2GHz CPU faster than a 3.0GHz CPU?" Well... it depends!

Thread Information