Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Using PC's

Using PC's

I am assumnig that everyone here uses computer, is that right ?

Yeah but what do you guys and gals use them for ?
    I am talking about your home PC's.

I use my mainly for the internet, music, graphic work (photoshop, flash...)some videos, writhing papers and sometimes for oldschool games (Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedhog...)

I run a website for my other hobby (www.southcumbrianorthlancsmvt.org.uk), copy music from my vinyl and tape collection onto CD, edit photos, sift spam out of my e-mail inbox so I can find the one e-mail that is important, banking, buy things (supermarket goods, furniture, e-bay), homework research (my children more than me), web based games (again children more than me). I am sure there is more. Oh of course, read the content of PC Guide!!!!

I use mine for video editing, stashing up with movies, music and pics, gaming and chatting too.. plus fixing the damn thing..
    "You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world" - Tyler Durden

Games, some music, surf'n the pcguide, school. Plus, I love tinkering with it.
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Ditto the above, download lyrics and try to sing them...

sift spam out of my e-mail inbox so I can find the one e-mail that is important,

Does this include throwing out the baby with the bath water???
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Most of our groceries are ordered online and delivered to my kitchen door.

Almost all banking is done online, paying utility bills, mortgage, transferring money to childrens' accounts etc.

Researching family tree online, building tree in computer program, contacting descendants of my ancestors at http://www.genesconnected.co.uk/
    Just discovered that the young man my wifes' sisters' daughter married recently is Prince Nicholas Andreievitch Obolensky, a descendant of Catherine the great of Russia! Nice one to add to the family tree!
    http://worldroots.com/brigitte/famou...esc1729-17.htm
    http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal2/royal42e.htm
    http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/2004_3.html
    http://worldroots.com/~brigitte/royal2/royal43b.htm
    But as they themselves say, it's pretty meaningless when there's no longer a Russian Royal family.
    "An insect is still but an insect at most though it crawl on the head of a Queen."

I help people find family tree info, and sometimes estranged family members.
    Once helped a Swedish nurse find the Scottish father she had never met.
    It took me 3 hours to find him and 24 hours to put them in email contact.

Storing family photographs, the music of my son's band [Red Bee Society at www.redbeesociety.co.uk/].
    Simple editing of photos and music file contents.
    My wife uses it for her work projects; finding info on the web, typing letters, charts.
    Sending emails to friends and family. Sending text messages to mobile phones.
    Cost-free PC to PC voice communication across the planet.

Helping and being helped at the PC-Guide.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 10-20-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Genalogy reseach, but had given that up for now, (no reason to go back past the norman conqest! ) writing books, and surfing the web for anything that looks "intresting"
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Errm I would love to play games on my PC, But, it cannot support any so i'm having to get a MAJOR uprgrade!

PC Guide Forums, PC Guide Discussion Forum, PC Guide. I find myself coming home from a 12 hour shift, tired as HELL and getting on the computer with enough effort to JUST squeeze out PC Guide search before I crash. If you cant tell, I love this forum.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time online due to Dial up, I try to learn something each time I'm on, otherwise I feel it's useless. Flight Simulator 2004, music, IM, photo editing.
    When Life Speeds By, Downshift!

I do schoolwork, email, play video games, waste time, and play video games . WHen I am not in school I also try and tweak my system so that I can try and boost preformance.....

Jason
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Um, major gaming, OCing (tinkering), PCGuide 'ing, laptop for school work, skype for talking with far away friends/relatives, managing game servers, staying on top of all the computer hardware deals, more games, games, games, o and did i mention (not games) programming?? o and a bit of machinama (sims 2 is great for that!)
    mIkE

AMDX2 4200+
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
    2gb DC Corsair ddr3200 2-3-3-5 216 mhz
    ATI X1900XT OC'ed
    Koolance watercooled: CPU, VPU, RAM, HD, NB

games (few since i got low specs. -yugioh,diablo,dos based like bats and a demo of raptor )

surfing the net and checking emails. downloading freewares

Self studying Photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, Autocad, visual basic.

video, musics.

Study, Study and a bit more study - computer security mainly.
    Photo editing and graphics creation (coreldraw)
    web design, occasional gaming (Ghost Recon. I'd like to see how the old delta force 2 would run on this PC!)
    general WP and keeping on top of paperwork.

Blog Entries
    gaming, research, homework, PC Guide forums, experimentation (tinkering), a little bit of OC'ing (more tinkering but doing this less often due to lack of time), playing old NES/SNES games (I love the old stuff!), and whatever other support roles this poor thing has to do from time to time. Although lately I've thankfully been avoiding the dreaded phrase "can you take a look at my computer?"

I also have a few other systems for more tinkering. My friend and I are still getting our file server up and running - it's a collection of our recently old parts. No gigabit (our main network is gigabit) but we're thinking of getting a PCI gigabit NIC for it. Otherwise, we mostly have old half-put-together PII systems lying around for testing purposes. (No idea how we got so many PII systems at once but whatever.) Recently acquired a fairly modern system (Celery 1.2) so tomorrow we're gonna have a dedicated Linux system. Again. (The old one died.) Fun stuff this weekend!

Keeping in touch with my parents and brother in Miami, my sister in Philadelphia and long lost cousins, uncles and aunts from Puerto Rico, reading newspapers from around the world - as long as they're in Spanish, English or Catalan - opening the case and tinkering around, downloading, installing ans uninstalling software just for fun, surfing the PC Guide trying to learn more, studying for my MCSE exams...all the time I'm not working. My husband likes it because it keeps me home. I even have dumbbells so I can work out my arms while I wait for something to download, though the waiting time keeps getting shorter as computers get faster...

Thread Information