Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: win xp pro network

Cool win xp pro network

hi all, i`d like to know if any of you have/are using Win XP pro for networking. any do`s and dont`s wich mite help before i start. im going to setup my two puters with my new puter as the main pc(higher spec). i will be using 2- 10/100 pci cards and crossover cable.

forgive me, im young. Jiggy
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

I am running different O/S & combo O/S on my home network (incl XP Pro) using a Linksys router with no problems. On install, XP Pro saw my Linksys nic and installed the driver for it without my having to load the driver from the install cd. The router enables me to share my one cable-modem connection with eight+ computers.

Howdy!

Xp does a really good job of setting up the networking for you. My recommendation is to run the WIndows Update as many times as it takes to get all the patches installed before you ever go online. There are SO many bugs in the OS and numerous security holes as well. PRO is better than Home, but you are still wide open to an attack if you don't apply all the current fixes.

take care!

------------------
    CCNA, CIW, iNet+, Network+, A+, RCE
    CCNA, CIW, iNet+, Network+, A+, RCE

My recommendation is to run the WIndows Update as many times as it takes to get all the patches installed before you ever go online.
    like to know how to do that!?

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

can you order the disk version of "Windows Update?"

Sounds like I wouldn't want to go Online until this is done.

------------------
    Waiting patiently for the future to arrive. Frank's Place
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Talking

By online i believe he was talking about the home network he is setting up.

------------------
    iisbob

"It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either."
    -Mark Twain { Samuel Clemen's }
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

I just setup a network with 2 PCs both duel boot. The network setup wizard does a pretty good job of setting it up for 2 PCs running XP but if you are using 2 duel boot PCs and want to connect in all combinations of opperating systems you need to use a DHCP router because when you boot the server from XP to ME some of the servces that XP provides for The client are not provided by ME making the client use different TCP/IP settings The router connects all 4 systems just fine and is safer because it is a DHCP server and acts as a firewall and can mask all ports from the internet and you don't need to run a software firewall on each system freeing up resources for other programs.

------------------
    I think Windows XP and Microsoft use more of my bandwidth than I do!
    WindowsBBS.com Is back online, check it out
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    (4X) OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) Sapphire 295x2 8GB GDDR5 OC Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors