Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touch Pad Not Working-Acer Travel Mate

Touch Pad Not Working-Acer Travel Mate

My granddaughter has an Acer Travel Mate 4150. The O/S is Win XP Home SP2.

The touch pad and buttons are not working. They were OK until a few days ago.

If a USB mouse is connected it works without any problem.

Device manager states that “Synaptics Touch Pad v.5.8 PS/2 on Port 3” is installed and working properly. However it is obviously not working.

The laptop was bought only 8 weeks ago and is still under warranty. However before going through the hassle of returning it to Acer for their attention I was wondering if there may be a simple solution to the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions about the possible cause and remedy.

Call Acer tech support. Do you or did you recently plug in an external mouse? Have you done anything top the system right before the mouse stopped working? Install new hardware? Install software? Discover a virus or spyware?
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Thanks for prompt reply.

An external mouse was not plugged in until after it became obvious that touchpad was not working. Apart from that item, no new software or hardware has been installed.

No sign of any virus or spyware.

I gather that my granddaughter has sent several e-mails to Acer Tech. Support but so far no reply from them. One of her fellow students said a new driver was needed but I advised her not to do anything at this stage until she had contacted Acer in case she violated warranty.

I think you need to call Acer Tech support and get the unit fixed ASAP. You need to make sure it is registered. So register the unit on line before calling for support.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Problem solved

This evening my granddaughter brought the notebook to me so that I could assess the situation at first hand – previous information was from telephone conversations.

Looking at the keyboard I found a help key combination Fn-F1 which produced a menu listing several hot key combinations. One such combination was Fn-F7 which toggled the touchpad enabled/disabled.

Thanks again for your interest. Just glad the solution was so simple. Hopefully(!) my granddaughter will now read the manual when she gets back to University to-morrow.

That's another one to add to my arsenal of simple solutions. Glad it worked out. I assume Acer tech support would have solved the problem just as quickly. As for reading the manual, I don't think so.

A.J. Heschel

i'm very glad till i registered an account to express it!

i was having the same problem, my touchpad was not working and it was really a pain for a university student like me...

i didn't have an internet access until i came home,

guess what? i have searched google"touchpad not working"and tried the trobleshoot and a lots of recommendations but all didn't work!

Then, i searched "touchpad not working on acer" and the first link(i'm feeling lucky) brought me here.

PROBLEM SOLVED! THANK YOU!

You are welcome.

Wow! thank you for the posting.. i have the same exact problem.. i've tried reinstall couple of times and all kinds of troubleshooting until i gave up and start carrying a mouse everywhere.. didnt know it's actually that simple.. really helpful!!

i've been checking everything to do with the device to see if something wasn't set-up properly. was going to take the thing back to the shop until i read this!!

thanks

Thanks a lot,
    This thread has made my day, last night i too face the same issue with my acer aspire 5101, touchpad not working, (Fn+F7) brings all back to normal.
    Thanks again...
    Cheers
    Sib

A MILLION thanks !!!!

hi
    me facing the same problems 2 days ago, tried Window help by searching "toupad no response", but found nothing.
    Suddenly i remembered internet here may give solution, came here and solved the (Fn+F7)
    So simple

THanks a million
    p.s i had spent 3 hours for that......
    thanks

Touchpad not working

Exellent tip. As no on ever reads the manual nice to know you can find someone who has and learns what their new tool can do.

THX

L

Quote Originally Posted by nedah View Post
    Problem solved

This evening my granddaughter brought the notebook to me so that I could assess the situation at first hand – previous information was from telephone conversations.

Looking at the keyboard I found a help key combination Fn-F1 which produced a menu listing several hot key combinations. One such combination was Fn-F7 which toggled the touchpad enabled/disabled.

Thanks again for your interest. Just glad the solution was so simple. Hopefully(!) my granddaughter will now read the manual when she gets back to University to-morrow.
    Woohoo! Thanks so much... I had the same problem on my new Acer Aspire 5630 and was about to make arrangements to send it back to Acer for repairs. Thanks to your tip, my touchpad is working again

Chris

The touchpad on my 5630 stopped working too - not just in windows xp, but also in Ubuntu (edgy & feisty) - There must be either a hardware switch involved, or the boot sector is written to, as the two OS's are on different partitions, neither of which is mounted when the other loads.

Pressing Fn-F7 works in Ubuntu, though, and the setting is remembered when windows loads.

[Edit]

And thanks for reading the manual - I'm glad somebody does.

Thumbs up Fn+F7 - The Greatest Acer touchpad Catch

Thanks!
    Spread the word "Fn+F7" will restore your Acer Touchpad ... this was one of the greatest catch I got from you guys (Thanks a million times!) after spending 3 days and deeply searching for a solution including debug into the driver (...for sure M$ fault on this ).

The touchpad suddenly stop working on my "ACER TravelMate 4652LMi" notebook some days ago, and all happened after the Windows Automatic Update, no doubt on this ... what is strange is that restoring to previous checkpoint did not help solving the problem... looks like the flag is controlled directly by BIOS and somehow the last windows update has change it (I am wondering what other dirty things they do? Maybe install spyware into the BIOS...just speculating since I have no proof).

Again ... Million Thanks for this great quick fix!

Best Regards,
    Kallla

thank you

thank you for the posting.. i have the same exact problem..

nedah.
    Thanks for that, I tried everything then googled it and found this thread....I’m also embarrassed that I didn't think of the help key.
    I'm glad I found this site though,………. hello all.
    oldgit.

Thumbs up thank you!

Tried uninstalling the device, tried system restore. very annoing...

just had to thank you for this thread

/Johan

Thanks

Another originally confused Acer user who now has his touchpad working again.

Many thanks for the simple but effective advice.

TouchPad problem still

hi all,
    I have the touchpad problem still. Even after using Fn+f7, still my touch pad is not working..Can anyone please help me in sorting out this problem.. There are yellow color exclamation in the device manager...

rozarioanand

With the yellow exclamation point, it looks like you have a bigger problem than the Fn key...so start a new thread, giving all the details including what item/s. and the reason/error that Device Manager is saying you have...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by rozarioanand View Post
    hi all,
    I have the touchpad problem still. Even after using Fn+f7, still my touch pad is not working..Can anyone please help me in sorting out this problem.. There are yellow color exclamation in the device manager...
    what is the problem- right-click on the yellow exclimation piont and bring up the properties dialog - it will give you an error code- what is that error code?
    My Computer:
    DELL XPS 400
    250 GB HD & 80 GB HD and 500 GB HD
    ATI Radeon x1950 256 MB PCIe (upgrading soon)
    Intel Pentium D 2.79Ghz with 3.0 GB RAM + 15GB pagefile
    DVD-ROM ; CD-RW; floppy
    17" Monitor and 20" Widescreen dual
    Looking to upgrade my PSU to a 650 Watt

Internet Help Desk

My City Visit daily!

we are not unreasonable... i mean, we wont eat your eyes

Wow, thank you.
    I have the same problem, although I'm using an Aspire one. Asked many ppl, installed new driver but no solution. And then google luckily gets me here.
    Not sure if what caused that error or I pressed Fn + F7 by accident, lol.

Blog Entries
    Why do they even put these functions and buttons on laptops to begin with!?

Laptop designer: "Ooh, I got one! We'll put a slidey button that turns the wireless on and off right on the front bezel where people can accidently turn it off! Then we'll put the wireless symbol next to it so that only techies know what it's for or that it even exists! Then we'll further obfuscate the matter by not mentioning this button in the manual or even the quick-start poster!"

The wireless switch, the key combo for turning off the touchpad, the key combo for turning off the main LCD screen, the key combo for the uncomfortable NUM PAD alternate keys that turn the letter 'L' into the number '3'... The list goes on! WTF?? Who wants this cr@p? Why do I spend so much time with family members "fixing" these functions that no one ever uses!?

Thread Information