Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Please check for compatibility

Please check for compatibility

Hi folks
    Will you folks please check this set up for compatibility!
    FYI this will be used for, well, not much! Just email, surfing and some basic photo editing like cropping, red eye reduction and printing. Making and printing greeting cards (Hallmark Card Studio).
    This is a B-Day present for my Mother. Shhhh it's a surprise . Mom may go with DSL in a few months but for now it's dial-up!! UGH!
    The case is for looks! WOW factor
    Thanks in advance!

PC CHIPS M-960GV Socket 478 SIS 661GX ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: M-960GV
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16813185059

Intel Celeron D 310 Prescott 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80546RE2130C - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16813185059

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820145440

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L080P0 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822144233

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW-Q30A BK - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16827131264

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16821103203

Encore ENF656-ESW-INPR 56Kbps Internal Fax Modem - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16825180004

RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP Black 0.8mm Japanese SECC Gaming Case Computer Case 420watts PS2 ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811156135

Will be using WinXP home.
    She has monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer & speakers
    Last edited by sassie05; 12-16-2005 at 09:32 PM. Reason: provide links
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

Consider a different mobo manufacturer. I owned a PCChips mobo and got dismal performance from it. The IDE speeds were pathetic, and I didn't even know that was possible. The sustained transfer between drives on two ports, was about 2/3 of this Biostar. That's with exactly identical hardware too. I had to swap the mobo because the wrong bios version got flashed. Couldn't have been me though, must have been a gremlin that did this. Granted, it was a different mobo model, but search for online performance reviews.

Also, I will never, ever buy another Sony product if it is within my power. Take a look at the NEC DVD burner that NewEgg offers. It's only about $40, and has gotten fantastic reviews.

Blog Entries
    Oh ew ew ew! Bad mobo! BAD! It uses a SiS chipset (I'm not a fan of those) and it uses an older CPU socket type (bad for future upgradability). Need to change a few things. Have you checked my sticky lately? I updated it.

I don't know what kind of budget you have for this, but the Asus P5GD1-VM would be an excellent choice for the mobo. Or the MSI 915GM-FR for a little bit less money but only two RAM slots. For the CPU, a Celeron D 331 is an obvious choice. Cheap price but it does support EM64T (64-bit code) so it's a nice addition to any budget box. The RAM you can keep, because those mobo's use DDR, not DDR2. As for the PSU, you might want to replace it but then again maybe wait on that. I would recommend a new 24-pin ATX 3.0 PSU if it's within the budget, but I know many people consider those to be really expensive for a budget box.

Thanks for the advice folks!!
    Saphalline you had me rolling with your opening of your reply!!
    OK, with the above recommendations changes are:

Asus P5GD1-VM
    Celeron D 331
    also is this hdd any better
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822135106
    I'll have to wait on the PSU
    I'm over budget of about 100.00 usd
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

Blog Entries
    That's a good price for that drive, but not the best price per GB. Consider just going with a PATA hard drive for this system. You can score an awesome deal from a place like Best Buy or Circuit City this time of year, since they tend to have more instant rebates vs mail-in rebates around the holiday time. If this is a budget system just for surfing the web and stuff like that, I doubt your mom would notice the difference between ATA/100 and SATA 150. Heck, I don't think I could tell the difference, either!

Ok thanks, I'll wait for the Sunday circulars and see what I see.
    The sata drive is a whole 50 cents cheaper.
    Thanks again for your help guys.

hopefully i wont get in trouble for this im just trying to help...but bestbuy had a 2 day sale (ends saturday 17th) on 120gb seagate hdd (ata/100, 8mb buffer, 7200rpm) for $40 on INSTANT rebate. Also would like to note there is no limit per customer.. actually had some one come in after buying 1 to get 10 more

Blog Entries
    Ooh! That's a good deal! Thanks for the heads-up, might want to go to Best Buy tomorrow... Hehe.

Thanks NeWbiE I think I'll check that out!

By jimminy, I have another question!
    Will there be any problems fitting the micro ATX in the above case?
    TIA

Blog Entries
    No. You can fit a smaller mobo in a larger case, but you can't fit an ATX mobo into a micro-ATX case!

Ok thanks saphalline
    I just checked out that hd at bestbuy online: sold-out
    Time to go have a good night!

I immediately checked the website too. The local stores will defintely sell out very quickly, but they each have their own physical inventory which wouldn't be available to purchase online. I'll be making a drive to the stores in my area.

YES, Take the drive! AND FORCE IT!. I guarentee if u call they will just tell u they're out,have them check the system and even the shipping manifest. truck deliveries come on saturday nights (i asked and apparently everystore has the same delivery night) Its hard to catch it at the right time but good luck to all. On a side note; any reason a company like best buy wouldnt offer rain checks? Found that weird

also theres a slight glitch in the bestbuy.com system from wat i've heard. Supposedly BestBuy.com shows only wat the a single stores minimum is to be. So say we got 20 monitors, sold 20 and had 5 returned, the 5 returned would not be counted. And for small items/sale items, you might see something along the lines of limited supply 20 per store. As soon as 20 are sold BestBuy.com will show sold out and we could have PLENTY left.

Stores only offer rainchecks when they can replenish their stock for about the same price. $40 for this drive is a great price, and is probably due to a special purchase. Their accountants also probably calculated for a planned total expense, based on the total number of drives. With no limit per customer, resellers would be putting a huge dent in their profits at best.

These special prices are supposed to work like doorbusters, and get more people in the store. I think limiting the number allowed per customer would be much more beneficial to them in the long run. Most shoppers would buy something in addition to the drive.

Buying the drive online, and trying to force the discounted price, is not going to work. You'll be out of luck for sure. Those inventory counts are totally separate from your local store.
    Last edited by pangea33; 12-17-2005 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Adding content

guess I'll have to go and see what I see!

Thanks NeWbiE I took the drive to the closest Bestbuy they were out but, I had them check the other stores around and bingo found some a few miles away!
    Thanks again

Thread Information