Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PCI bus

Question PCI bus

Hi everyone,

I have an Intel 430FX MB which has PCI 2.0/ISA based system bus. I am planning to install a Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee, which states a requirement for - One available PCI 2.1 bus slot (PCI bus version).
    Will there be any conflicts? Thanks

P.S. Where can I find out what is the best MB that uses SIMMS.

Polemist

Blog Entries

If the motherboard doesn't have a PCI slot that meets the requirements listed on the box, I'd say don't try it, chances are it won't work.

Several companies make very good motherboards, the ones that use SIMMs are getting harder to find. some of the better ones:

Asus, Epox, Tyan, Gigabyte, Soyo, DTK, Micro Star...CSO and Pricewatch usually both have older moptherboards listed, and the best prices you're likely to find.

Watch out for the Intel 430 series chipset, most will only cache 64MB RAM, except for the 430HX, and you have to add tag RAM to allow it to cache more than 64. Otherwise, it's a good chipset, I have a 430FX, it works fine, no complaints, except the memory limitation..

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Cool

polemist,

A little late posting this, but just happened across your note by chance. You have encountered the same problem that I did with my iDX4's ASUS MB. During earlier attempts to update this PC I noticed that it had ISA based sound & video cards.

In order to improve performance I wanted to upgrade these by replacing them with some cheap 2nd hand PCI sound & video cards (no AGP slots on such an old machine). But after looking at their specs I noticed that they also listed the PCI 2.1 spec. My mobo had no indications of what its PCI slots were, but after checking online it became apparent that PCI 2.1 came out long after the DX4 was released, so logically they could not have been any later than v.2.0.

At the time no one I spoke to knew if PCI 2.1 provided backwards compatibility for 2.0. However I was told that there were two solutions. Either a hardware fix: through a PCI adaptor. Or a software one: via a BIOS update. Neither appealed to me in terms of the time & money I would need to outlay relative to the performance increase I expected they would return.

Hope this adds to your confusion, I mean, knowledge (kidding) a little. Let me know if u find any further info re all this.

Cheers.......Son of Zeus.

Thread Information