Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: No Beep No Video

Angry No Post But Blinking Cursor On The Left Corner Of Screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Pete
    We have to post these instructions almost daily so I decided to place a detailed tutorial here on how to go about the troubleshooting routine we always recommend when someone has a no boot, no beep, no video situation.

CAUTION:

Be sure and always ground yourself by touching the power supply before handling the motherboard or other components to avoid electrostatic discharge (static electricity, it can damage components). It should be plugged into a properly grounded outlet. I prefer a power strip, so it's always plugged in and still grounded even when the strip is turned off.

The tools needed:

Non-conductive surface, such as a linoleum tabletop, cardboard or rubber mat.
    Small screwdriver.
    Known good power supply.
    Power strip. (not mandatory but helpful if your power supply does not have a primary power switch on back.)

Components needed:

Motherboard
    CPU/fan/heatsink - double check to be SURE the fan is plugged in. 30 seconds without it and the CPU is fried.
    Video card - or onboard, depending on motherboard.
    RAM - I prefer one RAM stick to reduce the number of components that can cause trouble.
    Monitor - Can't see any results without it.
    Keyboard - Not mandatory but very useful if you need to change BIOS settings.
    Speaker - Again not mandatory, but it's helpful to hear a beep code.
    Power Supply - Can't get anywhere without it. Use one you already know is good.

If you don't know what any of these components are, the Component ID thread might help.

Procedure:

Connect the components listed above, check all connections and be sure they are in their proper location and secure. If your motherboard has a small, square 4 pin power connector, your power supply will need one and it should be connected, it is required for proper operation.

If you have already tried the unit inside the case, reseat the RAM and video card a few times to clean up the contacts. This means pull the card out of the slot and put it back in, often 6 or 8 times are needed to clean off oxidation.

Locate the Power On pins on the motherboard and short them briefly with a small screwdriver, that should power up the computer. If everything is properly connected, in working order and contacts are clean, you should see a BIOS screen and hear one beep. If you get no video or beep, switch off the power strip or unplug the power supply to shut down. Reseat video card and RAM. Sometimes this must be done several times, heavy oxidation can be difficult to clean up.

If you still get no beep or video after several tries and have reseated the RAM and video, further troubleshooting is necessary. I won't go into great detail here, but the things to check are:

Video card - try a different one.
    RAM - try a different chip.
    Motherboard - Have it tested by a reputable computer shop.
    CPU - Have it tested by a reputable shop.
    Power supply - A weak power supply can be difficult to sort out, it can be checked with a multimeter or taken to a shop for testing, or purchase a new one. Power supplies aren't very expensive, usually less than half the cost of a motherboard or video card.

That should cover the basics, if I forgot anything or made a mistake, the techs helping out here on the forums please let me know.

Please try to keep replies to this thread to a minimum, so it doesn't get really long and take ages to load.
    I HAVE TRIED ALL STEPS NECESSARY TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM BUT TO NO AVAIL. I HAVE A MATRIX A6 MOTHERBOARD WITH ALL CONNECTIONS INTACK BUT WILL NOT BOOT TO POST TO ENABLE BIOS SETTINGS EXCEPT A CURSOR ON THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF A BLACK SCREEN. PLEASE HELP.

Collins825, Welcom to the PcGuide. This thread is a reference thread. To get help, you need to start your own thread. The mods will most likly come by and move this to a better location.

Are you getting any beeps when you boot?
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Thread Information