Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Keyboard will not work during POST?

Keyboard will not work during POST?

OK, USB keyboard, very cheap, but Belkin. I am having some problems with my computer right now and I want to boot from the XP CD.

The keyboard works enough to get me to the BIOS screen, but when I change the boot order to CD, and then continue, start-up requests that I "press any key to boot form CD." My keyboard does not respond, so XP boots normally. I can see the keyboard is not working bc the lights do not light up when I hit Caps Lock. Any thoughts on what is going on?

The only way of getting into the BIOS, is to use another keyboard, as I have found out to my cost, when working on a customers computer. I assume that the computer has a PS/2 connection for the keyboard, and a new PS/2 keyboard can be picked up for only a few pounds.
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I've a PS/2 I picked up for $4.99 US and I keep it just for such purposes...as I have USB wireless on my keyboard and mouse...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Stupid follow-up because your instructions are clear... but my USB kb works in BIOS under most curcumstances. Is there something about booting from CD that causes the kb to stop responding?

Also, it seems that the USB-PS/2 adapter did not do the trick... should it?

Thread Information