Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: What type of DVD should I use

What type of DVD should I use

I am planing on getting a Hp 640, which can take both DVD-R and +R.
    My Dad has an Hp 300i, which only takes +R Media.

I am taking some shows off of my TiVo and through my computer storing them onto DVD's.

What would be the best media to use? +R or -R?

Also, does anyone know of a good capture program for capturing composite.

Thanks
    Davey

the dvd-r format will work with the older dvd players. if anyone you know has an older dvd player, your recordings, if you place them on dvd-r discs should work fine.
    as for the dvd+R, you can use these with new dvd players, most players now support both formats, even the el-cheapo dvd players you can get at walmart.
    i have nero recode on my machine, however i dont really use it that much. i have a standalone DVD recorder that records to dvd+r and dvd+rw discs.
    well hope that helps you out some, sorry i dont really have a recommendation on a capturing program.

None is really "better", its just compatibility. Eventually, one format will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmanva
    the dvd-r format will work with the older dvd players. if anyone you know has an older dvd player, your recordings, if you place them on dvd-r discs should work fine.
    as for the dvd+R, you can use these with new dvd players, most players now support both formats, even the el-cheapo dvd players you can get at walmart.
    I think you may have that backwards. DVD+R is supposed to be "universally compatible" or so I've been told by panasonic reps. I've played DVD+R discs in OLD players before burning a DVD was in anyone's mind. I've never come accross a machine that didn't play my +R dvds. My computer burner and my stand alone burner both use +R. DVD-R is less compatible with older hardware.

Now, granted, pretty much anything purchased in the last two years will do both formats, its not even a huge issue anymore. Since your dad can only use +R, maybe that is the choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dfgasner
    Also, does anyone know of a good capture program for capturing composite.
    Nothing beats a stand along recorder for transfering analog tv to a digital format! it's the best bang for your buck price wise, quality wise, versatility, etc... you can get a burner for a 100bucks, the cheapest capture cards run for that much, and the quality/resolution will be horrible. it will also save you time my avoiding the computer all together, because trust me, that will get old REAL quick going from dvr to computer to editing to dvd! my dvr is setup so that I just select a program, hit record and record on my dvd burner, and boom, streams it over in the background on the 2nd tuner!

if you want to edit the video later, you can always extract the video off the dvd, edit it, then reburn it with minimal quality loss...
    even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Thread Information