Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: MSN Messenger,Limewire

MSN Messenger,Limewire

I was just wondering does anyone here know exactly how safe these two programs are?

I havnt heard anything bad about limewire and ive being using it for ages with no problems.If you try and download something dangerous it pre warns you that the file is corrupt so personaly i cant see it as unsafe

But ive heard LOADS of bad things about msn i heard that it and the whole hotmail system are the easiest ways for people to get into your pc and see your personal info

Does anyone here know anything about this?

I remove msn on every system I have .
    never used it. never needed it. So I can't say anything about it.

Limewire on the other hand
    I have used and I still use it.
    Todate I have only had 2 bad files downloaded off it.
    both had the wrong extention on the files.
    MP3 showed on the list.
    They were Not mp3's

I have NO idea what they were.
    I don't waste the time on them
    I just wipe them off my system ( wipe=wipefile)

I scan everything I download from limewire before using it.

Older versions of Limewire were definitely bad... The new version is supposed to be clean... Any P2P program comes with the risk that the files that you download can be infected... With the latest WMF exploit it is probably even more of a risk... I agree with the idea of scanning every file that you download and hope that it is not already infected you...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Please exercise discretion with your conversations regarding any p2p software like Limewire. Whether you are downloading copywritten files is immaterial. The intent here is to make very clear that The PCGuide Forums does not support software piracy in any fashion. You may not be doing anything shady, but other people are, and we want to distance ourselves from them.

Regarding MSN Messenger, there are currently a lot of reported security vulnerabilities on the net. Same goes for AIM. Personally, I use GAIM which is a free, open-source chat client, available here from SourceForge. It has a tabbed interface, and will let you login with all the major chat services simultaneously. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I scan everything I download from limewire before using it.

I second that

Thread Information