Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Upgrade or full version?? - W95 >> Win98/Me

Post Upgrade or full version?? - W95 >> Win98/Me

I'm still using Windows 95 - not much to complain about.

However, I'm wondering if doing a clean upgrade to Windows 98 or even Windows Me would present more problems than using the full version (eg. errors, conflicts, etc.). Have there been any such complaints about these upgrades??

I'm trying to balance system stablity with cost.

Arrow

Hi,

If u arent having problems with win95 ( I would leave it as it is) but if u feel the need to 'upgrade'... win98 would be the ticket.

Please do not even consider win(ME)!!!!!!

Thats just a nightmare waiting to happen.

I say this because I know of NO benefit or improvement on ME from win98se, in fact there is much evidence to support that ME is the opposite of an 'improvement'

------------------
    "re-inventing the hammer.. why I oughtta..."

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 01-20-2001).]

I agree with Sea69. Windows ME is a bunch of problems for many users, and I know first-hand. My preferred version now is Windows 98SE.

I have installed the Windows 98 upgrade over Windows 95, and installed it on a clean drive with no problems, but a clean install is generally preferred. Installing over 95 will retain all your programs and settings, so you may prefer to try that first.

As far as I know, the difference between the Upgrade and Full versions of Windows is price. If you have a qualifying Microsoft product, generally meaning the prior version, you can buy the less expensive upgrade version and the installation will look for the earlier version on the drive, and asks for the disk if it does not see a previous installation.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends load Windows ME

I have also had first hand experienc with ME.

DON'T DO IT!

Go ahead and do Win98. Most of ME's "improvements" can be tamed or turned off but you are still left with a very restricted DOS capability and usually in less time than it takes to rein in the "improvements" you can have a nice running 98 machine. Also some of them can be had for 98 (WMP7 and IE5.5), I've found neither to be very buggy as updates although IE5.5 on my father-in-law's machine does seem to have a few "quirks" (ME machine). As far as it goes I think for true customising and usability 98 is the way to go.

------------------
    mjc
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks. I'm actually going to build a new system. Since I have Windows 95 already, I was thinking that I should just use the upgrade when installing the OS. There's like a $100+ difference between the upgrade and the full version.

Blog Entries

I'll agree with all the above, stay away from ME, and the upgrade should work, as already stated it will ask you for the CD if it doesn't find it on the drive.

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Yup, It's W98SE for me. Putting together a system AND being a guinea pig at the same time is misery.

Just one more question: Does the Microsoft EULA allow you to install W95 on two machines even if one of them is receiving an upgrade like this??

Question

Hello?? Anyone?

Blog Entries

Not sure, but I don't think so. I think you have to have a license for each machine that has the OS installed. Not the software, just the license. You can use the same CD to install on 30 machines if you wish, but you have to have a license for each machine.

It's cheating, but to install 98 or {cringe} ME...you can just put the win95 CD in and show setup you have it, and setup will go along on its merry way without having to actually install 95 before the upgrade.

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

OK. I can work with that.

One thing to check: If you are going to install the Windows 98SE upgrade, I believe it requires that you have Windows 98 installed. I couldn't find the box or documentation to check that. Windows 98 can install from the DOS prompt, but I recall that the SE Upgrade version is setup while 98 is running.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Smile

I checked it out. It's actually quite the opposite. The Win98SE Upgrade version upgrades ONLY Win3.1 and Win95 versions.

I forgot that I had bought the $19.95 upgrade directly from Microsoft until I saw this source:

Windows 98 SE will eventually be available in 3 different CD packages and a downloadable version. Here are some of the basic differences:

1) Full version (Est. street price $189.00 USD)
    It will install on any PC (even one with freshly formatted Hard Disk(s), and you do not need to have a qualifying product already installed or it's media available to be checked during the installation process. This version can also be used the same as the "upgrade" CD to upgrade any prior version of Windows (3.x or 9.x) to Windows 98 SE. You can install from Real Mode
    DOS or from the GUI of an earlier version of Windows.

2) Upgrade version (Est. street price $89.00 USD)
    It will only install if you already have a qualifying product installed on the system, or at least have the media available so that you can insert it during the installation process so it can be checked/verified. As long as you have a qualifying products this CD can be used to just as the
    "full" CD to upgrade any prior version of Windows (3.x or 9.x) to Windows 98 SE. You can even use it to install to freshly formatted hard disk(s). You can install from Real Mode DOS or from the GUI of an earlier version of Windows.

3) Updates version ($19.95 USD + S&H from Microsoft only)
    This CD will only update the original version of Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE. It can not be used to upgrade a Windows 3.x or 95 to Windows 98 SE. Since this version can only be used to "update" the original version of Windows 98 to SE, it was designed so that it has to run from the Windows 98 GUI and thus can not be installed from Real Mode DOS.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Thanks for the info!!

Well, I want to build my own computer, BUT...some problems came up and so on and the best thing to do was to just get a new pre-built one. And of course all the new computers come with Windows ME already installed. Can you install Win 95 on there and have everything work? Can you even downgrade at all?

Originally posted by DirtyBird:
    Can you install Win 95 on there and have everything work? Can you even downgrade at all?
    You would have to delete Win ME and do a fresh installation if you want to load a Windows version earlier than the installed one, and you would need to search for drivers for the hardware installed in the computer.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

Check out buycheapsoftware.com They have a good price on Win98se OEM. Of course no tech support, but good price.

Thumbs down

I agree about WinME. Try to avoid it if you can. However, I saw on The Screen Savers the other night that the next version of Windows, code named Whisler, is going to employ the Windows 2000 kernel, which is much more stable. Won't be out until next year though, I believe.

Thread Information