Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Monitor problem: "Sync out of range"

Monitor problem: "Sync out of range"

I got a problem with my monitor.

This is what happened. I replaced my OLD monitor with a used monitor came from my friend and that monitor is in good shape. after plugging the connector to the VGA port, I boot my computer but after the Windows XP boot-screen it didnt go to the LOG on screen of windows XP then the monitor displayed "SYNC OUT OF RANGE".

what could be the error of this "SYNC OUT OF RANGE" thing? my video card is brand new and in good condition.

Your help guys will be appreciated. thanks.

If you turn the monitor off and back on, do you get a video feed for a few moments? Windows might have the refresh rate set too high. Is it an LCD? At work here, if we set the refresh to 85hz on our CRTs, and they goto get tested where LCDs are used, they want 75hz or the monitor can't display it. So, try adjusting that in the display control panel, in advanced settings.
    even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

It coulds be that the monitor is an old one and not capable of supporting your cards settings.

Try booting into SAFE MODE (which uses basic settings) right click on the desk-top and select SETTINGS and then change (reduce) the settings. Hope this works
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

I tried to plug and unplug the VGA connector for 6 times and it work I have now the access to the windows XP.. I changed the refresh rate to 70 Hz before it was 60 Hz. BUT after using it for an hour I tried to restart to check if it is completely OK, then it happened again after the Windows boot-screen the "SYNC OUT OF RANGE" appeared again.

My monitor brand is samsunng syncmaster 17".

I will try changing the setting in the safe-mode.

any suggestions that will help will be appreciated. thanks jcnoernberg and ErnieK

Try booting to last know good configuration. You can't change the video settings in safe mode....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

@ classicsoftware..

I tried booting to the last know good configuration for 4 times but still the same error occured. "SYNC out of range" appeared after the Windows XP boot-screen.

what should i do? another help there please.

What is the model number of the Samsung monitor?

@ ski

This is my monitor: "Samsung Magic Syncmaster CDP17T"

I can't seem to find anything on the monitor that isn't written in Korean. Is the monitor local to where you are located? It has got to be the windows settings since the monitor is working up until a point. Maybe you can call Samsung?
    even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Thought that the model would show the specs, but also cannot find anything in English.

Try this. Reconnect the old monitor, reduce the refresh rate to 60 Hz, the resolution to 640x480, shut down, disconnect the old monitor, and reconnect the Samsung.
    If it works, then increase the refresh rate to 70 Hz.
    If ok, then increase the resolution to 800x600.
    If ok, then go to 1024x768.
    If that's ok, then leave it there.
    If the 'Sync out of range' message appears anywhere along the way, then reconnect the old monitor, and reduce the resolution and/or refresh rate.

thanks i will do it later.

It will more thank likely not be of any use to you but here is the Samsung link for the 170T

Try having a look and see if it is same as yours. If so download the drivers and manual fo rit. If not it was worht the try

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/pr...e=UM&language=
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Thread Information