Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How to speed up Windows Update

How to speed up Windows Update

I have to reinstall 2 machines in a couple of days. The copies of Windows XP Pro are old, predating SP2 by quite a bit. Last time I did this Windows Update took 3 1/2 hours! A good part of that was SP2, but not more than half. Of course a lot of the time was waiting for downloads.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I think I can download SP2 ahead of time and have it on a CD--correct? I would assume I'd install that right after Windows? But what about all the other zillion or so "critical" updates? Do I have to just sit and wait for them?

Thank you!
    Murphie

Sp 2 Cd

Quote Originally Posted by Murphie
    I have to reinstall 2 machines in a couple of days. The copies of Windows XP Pro are old, predating SP2 by quite a bit. Last time I did this Windows Update took 3 1/2 hours! A good part of that was SP2, but not more than half. Of course a lot of the time was waiting for downloads.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I think I can download SP2 ahead of time and have it on a CD--correct? I would assume I'd install that right after Windows? But what about all the other zillion or so "critical" updates? Do I have to just sit and wait for them?

Thank you!
    Murphie
    You can order XP SP2 CD from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
    trapper

It is possible to download all of the service packs and updates that came out after your CD was purchased, and slipstream them into a new CD. The question is, is it really worth the time to do it? This really depends on how many systems you will be installing, and how often. You could also just download and slipstream SP2, which doesn't take very long at all, and then do the rest of the fixes via download.

OR if you want to get really fancy, and have a server PC running Windows 2003 or 2000 server, you could download all upates once and install from your server. Of course maintaining an entire server just for Windows Updates can be costly for a small network.

Here is a page explaining how to do an all inclusive custom XP CD

and a guide to slipstream SP2 .

I have used the SP2 slipstreaming guide with good results before, but never tried a full blown custom install. I would like to try one soon though as it seems very interesting and convinient.
    Erik

Erik, thanks so much, that's just what I was looking for. Now I have to figure out if I have to do one integrated CD for each computer, or if I can use one for both--will the activation get messed up?

Anyway, thank you!
    Murphie

It depends on what type of Windows CDs and keys you have. If you have two retail CDs, and two retail COAs you can make just one fully updated CD, and just enter the different COA when prompted. That would cause no problem with activation as far as I know.

However if one is a retail, and one an OEM, then you will need to make different CDs for each system. Also if either of the CDs came from an OEM maker (Dell etc.) then it might not work at all, or at best would only work on the system that the original CD came with.

Good luck!
    Erik

To bring you upto date after installing windows (with SP2) go to AuotoPAtcher at http://www.autopatcher.com/ and download all the updates released in 2005. These updates come as one exe file.

Install AP onto your hard drive and then drill down to the AP folder (usually C: (or appropriaye drive letter) :\AutoPatcher) and select the patches you want to install.The full 2005 file is about 200MB and has somethings you will not want so just deselect them. There is are also seperate files for Jan and Feb 2006. Using this you can bring XPSP2 upto date in only a few minutes.

(The site is down for the moment (8.10am Wed) for upgrading but the updates for Jan and Feb are available.)

Here is the link for the official forums to give you an idea of exactly what it is and does.
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Thank you Eric and Ernie! Great idea, I'm so glad I found out about it!
    Murhpie

PS, This is the 3rd time I'm answering this--my post won't "take", although my answers today to other threads are OK. Hmmm.

Thread Information