Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Warning!CPU has been changed or overclock failed

Warning!CPU has been changed or overclock failed

Warning!CPU has been changed or overclock failed I am getting this warning upon reboot seemingly after making software changes/updates. Hitting F1 allows me to continue into window XP without any issues. I have changed the Cmos battery and the issue continues. I will appreciate any suggestions.

My system specs;
    MOBO--Epox 8RDA+
    CPU---AMD 2100+
    RAM--512DIMM DDR (crucial)
    HD--80Gb IBM deskstar 7200
    vidio card--Geforce 4 TI4200

Blog Entries
    Did you reset the CMOS? If so, go into your BIOS settings and see if anything is awry. It's probably just the FSB or something.

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline
    Did you reset the CMOS? If so, go into your BIOS settings and see if anything is awry. It's probably just the FSB or something.
    Thanks for the reply! Hmmmm. How do you reset CMOS? I have reset jumpers and replaced the CMOS battery. What should I look for in BIOS? It is reset to fail safe settings.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Yes, often it will say "default settings." Save and Exit...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

I have reset CMOS. BIOS is set to fail/safe settings. I continue to get an error message. any ideas?

Blog Entries
    What is your CPU reported as in the BIOS? A failed CPU parameter shouldn't be happening like this.

this error is now happening on every reboot. In fact the computer will stall at reboot with beep tones and I have to hold power button to shut down. I boot a second time and I get the normal single beep tone and eventually the above mentioned warning!cpu has been changed etc. Hitting F1 allows me to load XP normally.

I am not sure exactly what BIOS readings will help you the most so I will include all parameters and settings in my advanced chipset features section of CMOS/BIOS

Parameter --- Setting

system performance --- optimal
    CPU clock ratio --- Default
    FSB Frequency --- 100 MHZ
    CPU interface --- optimal
    Memory Frequency --- auto
    Resulting Frequency --- 100 MHZ
    Memory Timing --- optimal
    T(RAS) --- 5
    T(RCD) --- 2
    T(RP) --- 2
    CAS Latency --- 2.0
    FSB Spread Sectrum --- disabled
    AGP Spread spectrum --- disabled
    AGP Aperture Size (MB) --- 32M
    AGP Frequency --- auto
    AGP 8x support --- enabled
    AGP fast write capability --- enabled
    CPU thermal throttling --- 50%
    System BIOS cacheable --- disabled
    Video Ram Cacheable --- disabled

Blog Entries
    Ok, there's beep tones now? Do you know what they are? More importantly, do you have the mobo manual to tell you what they mean?

It's starting to sound like something critical in the mobo is loose or dusty. Have you tried cleaning it out lately? Also, it might help to shut down the system, unplug it, and reseat everything. By that I mean take out the RAM, put it back in, take it out, put it back in, etc - several times. Do that for the RAM, vid card, expansion cards, and all cables to the drives (power and IDE). Then check for any dust that might be clogged in any of the heatsinks, most notably the CPU but don't forget the vid card and chipset, either.

saphalline--thank you for your advice. I do have the mobo manual but it says nothing about beep tones....however! this Epox mobo has an internal LED port which list post codes. The manual does provide a list of post codes and possible solutions.The code that pops up during this malfunction has to do with the memory module. the manual says it can be

1. the memory module inserted incorrectly---- a possibility
    2. memory compatability problem..doubtful since unit was working fine for years
    3. memory module damaged...a possibility

kind of narrows it down eh! It also supports your idea and I will follow through with your suggestions and report back my findings. this unit is 4 years old and never really has been cleaned well so all this makes sense.

I reversed the hose on my kirby vacuum and went to town blowing out the innards of my computer and now the inside is much cleaner. (cough-cough-wheeze-- I really created a dust storm and now have to clean my office!)
    I also uninstalled and installed the ram multiple times. I continue to get the same error code related to memory. Do you think I should follow through with reseating other components or given the post codes I mentioned earlier is it time to replace ram?

The recommended procedure for cleaning is with a can or two of compressed air. Using a vacuum cleaner can produce static electricity in the hose...especially if the hose is plastic, which can be easily discharged and damage the motherboard or components...

How many memory modules are you using?

If more than one, you might want to try with just one stick in the appropriate one module slot...

You may need to enter the BIOS after doing so and Save and Exit if you pull a stick of RAM. If you only have one, you might to once again, pull and reseat a few times. If possible, I would download Memtest 86...it goes on a floppy (hopefully you have a floppy) and boot with it in the floppy drive (it is self booting). You would need to set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the floppy drive first...

Thank you Whyzman for the advice. I only have one stick of ram. I did reseat several times and run memtest 86 as you suggested. It ran 4 passes and did not report any error codes.
    I am wondering about something else I have noticed. there are a number of post regarding bad capacitors with pictures showing the bulging effect and resulting leakage. I have a number of capacitors on my mobo that display these characteristics, bulging at the top with a patch of brown corrosion . Is this of any potential concern given the symptoms I have outlined in previous post?

Absolutely! If the visual symptoms are evident, you may very well have a motherboard that is trying to pass into the great beyond...

It bodes well that the RAM passed the Memtest...that gives us evidence to the effect that the RAM is not at fault. Since this is all happening before Windows is even in the picture it lends itself to a hardware problem of some sort...

What you are encountering certainly could point to a malfunctioning motherboard...

Might be time to go shopping...

Blog Entries
    Mobo's usually come with a 3-year warranty, and even beyond that this capacitor problem is well-known. First of all, disconnect everything from that mobo! Don't power it up again! It's bad! Secondly, contact Epox and let them know about the bulging capacitors. Chances are they'll replace the mobo for free, charging you only for shipping.

Hopefully you can just get a new one because the 8RDA+ was an awesome mobo for that era.

Thumbs up

wow! thanks for all the great help. It sounds like one of those good news bad news things! I will follow up with Epox as you suggested. A tip of the hat to all those advanced computer techs contributing to a forum like this. I would be in trouble with out you!

Here is an update. My motherboard was out of the three year warrantee yet Epox replaced it at NO CHARGE! YIPPEE! My only expense was the shipping cost to send the old motherboard to them. I reassembled everything today with out any issues at this point. The post re: capacitor issues and expert followup help in this forum were the key in helping me diagnose and resolve this issue. thanks to all who helped!

Quote Originally Posted by stabiae
    Epox replaced it at NO CHARGE! YIPPEE!
    What a great ending! Epox...you rock!

Thread Information