Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hosts file causing more problems than it solves

Hosts file causing more problems than it solves

tried this once before and stopped using it, partly because of issues with many web sites.
    Well, I'm tring it again and it gets rid of many ads on web pages, BUT;

1. It restricts some sites entirely (can't log into Excite Mail),
    2. It blocks images that aren't ads (Toms' Hardware reviews, the proformance graphs)
    3.It causes some pages to hang while waiting for ads to load.

Other than getting rid of it all together or trying to aquire a list of addresses to delete from the 45,000+ entry 'hosts' file, can anything else be done?

Win 2k running Opera V8.53
    BTW, I checked Excite Mail on Mozilla and I can't sign in there either.
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!

What setup your hosts file with so many entries.

The hosts file (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file#Ad_filtering) works by avoiding DNS lookup for the entries in it. "Blocking" is done by mapping the relevant domain name to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 IP addresses.

Either do away with the hosts file (back it up first maybe) or unblock the "blocked domains" by removing the entries for those domains. Pull out the domain name for the images you want at Toms Harware Reviews from the domain name in its "src" value in the html code.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I d/l'ed it from here;
    http://www.hosts-file.net/downloads.html

The one I'm using now is this;
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!

Excite.com doesnt seem to be blocked in the mvps.org file so one wonders if you have javascript enabled and that you have logged in to the account in the last 90 days (free accounts are disabled if not used for that period).

Cant check-out Tom's Hardware without an actual link but are you sure it is the hosts file that is at the heart of your problem.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I Excite issue appears to be something else. I rarely use it so it's not an issue.
    It was the processor or MB reviews where some of the charts didn't show. Others did.

Need an actual url to check what the problem might be.

Thread Information