Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: A+ Class Project

Smile A+ Class Project

Our class project entails the building of our own (this is a first for me) PC from scratch. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in determining what are some of the best components to utilize in this endeavor from the tower all the way to every component concievable? Any and all advice would be much appreciated since I'm not sure where to begin. I want to build one that is extremely reliable and fast of course with plenty of storage and plenty of room to grow as well!

[This message has been edited by Thunderbolt (edited 04-23-2001).]

I know that this probably isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but probably a good way to get an idea of what you want is to read through the various posts in this topic, then check out a couple of the hardware review sites like Tom's Hardware andAnandTech. This will give you an idea of what kind of system to build ( I want to build one that is extremely reliable and fast of course with plenty of storage and plenty of room to grow as well! -- don't we all!). Then when get some specifics it'll be a little easier to help with your request, because if I list a lot of great hardware it'll be my dream machine not necessarily yours......

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Blog Entries

For a first attempt I would recommend something a bit older, rather than risking big bucks if you make a mistake. You can get parts to build something like a P-II 350 or similar lots cheaper than newer high speed stuff, and you're not taking a chance on damaging $1000 in components as with a new state of the art system. Pricewatch and CSO will give you an idea what kind of prices you can get if you look a bit.

I started on XT/AT machines, pick them up for $5-10 or less usually, and practiced on those rather than risk my Pentium, which would be expensive if I made a mistake. Like plugging in the power supply cables to the motherboard backwards...been there, done that...

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I cant tell you how glad I am that I dont build any Socket 7 AT style systems any more.......Even I cant screw up plugging a ATX power connector into a ATX mobo!!!

------------------
    Will XP save Me ?
    XP didn't save Me !

LMAO@Randy! Those connectors are screwy, ain't they?! Line'em up wrong, end up on peg over... And you done! LOL

Cor

------------------
    Age and Treachery will forever triumph over Youth and Skill.
    Age and Treachery will forever triumph over Youth and Skill.

Thread Information