Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: My Proposed System

My Proposed System

This is my first stab at building a computer myself. I currently use the computer for basic stuff plus photo editing and I would like to begin using it for simple home video editing. I am not a gamer. Take a look at my proposed system, and tell me if it looks good, or if there are any perceived problems.

CASE:
    Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

PROCESSOR:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz HT Socket 754 E6 Processor Model ADA3000BXBOX - Retail

MOTHERBOARD:
    MSI K8N Neo-V Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

VIDEO CARD:
    eVGA 256-A8-N341-L2 Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

HARD DRIVE:
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM:
    Crucial Technology 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model BL6464Z402 - Retail

I plan on harvesting my CD, DVD, Floppy, and Modem, as well as the various wires/cords from my current Compaq Presario.

The grand total, US $479 plus $44 shipping.

One questions I have...

Any idea what the L2 means at the end of the video card product ID? I wanted to get the LX, but it wasn't in stock.

Okay. . .First off Welcome to the PC Guide. There are a couple of things that need to change. . .first though, what is your budget? $500? Is that just for case/MOBO/CPU/vid. card?
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by hockey man
    Okay. . .First off Welcome to the PC Guide. There are a couple of things that need to change. . .first though, what is your budget? $500? Is that just for case/MOBO/CPU/vid. card?
    I want to stay as low as possible to get a system that can do what I want... which means basic photo and home video editing... I have decided to upgrade to 1gig RAM already. So basically, yes I want to stay around 5-6 hundo

okay. . .the stuff you collected is old in the sense that you are using AGP and a nForce 3 MOBO. This is what I would recommend:

Case- get the one you suggested.

MOBO- ECS NFORCE4-A754 Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    CPU- AMD Sempron 64 3000+ Palermo 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model SDA3000BXBOX - Retail
    RAM-Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400AK2/1GR - Retail
    Video Card-SAPPHIRE 100118L-RD Radeon X550 128MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Those items come to $270 without shipping. Now the CPU is a little slower but this setup will be better becuase of the 1 gig of RAM. Also, this system has more upgradability with PCIe.
    Apathy: If we don't take care of the customer,maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

(Maybe BB's approach?)
    ~Despair.com

Thx for the comments. Should I keep the same hard drive? Would I be better off with the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice for the extra 40 bucks?

Blog Entries
    RAM is cheap right now, and in light of the fact that Socket 754 is only single-channel capable, I'd recommend a single 1GB stick of Kingston. Leaves more room for upgrading later and ends up being cheaper after the rebate (assuming you do the rebate ).

Yes, that hard drive will actually perform better on the mobo that hockey man listed. But either way you'd only have SATA 150 ports. You could save some money by going with a SATA 150 hard drive, too, but all the SATA drives are compatible with that mobo, so it's up to you. Don't settle for less than a 250GB SATA hard drive, though! That's the sweet spot right now for hard drives.

The Sempron 64 3000+ saves you a bit of money without sacrificing a lot of performance. It's cheap and provides plenty of performance for what you want to do. However, if you want to spend the extra money on the A64 3000+ Venice then that's fine, too. Or you could get the Sempron 64 3100+ with the 256KB of L2 cache. At that point it's up to you - they all provide good performance per dollar spent.

I am getting the 250 GB SATA 3.0 because it is 90 bucks right now on newegg...

ok, I am buying it now!

Going with the AMD Sempron 64 3000+, and the 1GB stick....

Blog Entries
    Cool! Let us know how it turns out. And what OS are you using, anyway? Do you have a copy of Windows laying around or are you buying a new copy?

I will be using XP

Thread Information