Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: HP dv1000, removing fan and cleaning

HP dv1000, removing fan and cleaning

hey everyone, last night my hp laptops fan just stopped and in fact sometimes doesn't want to start, until i disconnect and reconnect the laptop battery. And when it does, the fan will run for a few seconds then stop and the computer will automatically shutoff instantly, what i wanna know is does anyone here know how to dissamble this model of the HP so i can get to the fan and clean it myself, or if i want to replace it, i live in a ****ty 3rd world country with not a lot of resources, hence why im doing it myself.

-boinz

Hi, and welcome to the PC Guide Discussion Forum!

There are some instructions as well as a review of the DV1000 at this location
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2227

Good luck! Please post back with results.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

i had already googled for results and came upon this forum, which is why i signed up and asked for help, and the page you sent me i had already found, but thanx anyway.

DV1000 fan cleaning

Boinz,

Did you find the way to fix that problem....?

Let me know as soo as you know.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    A new fan unit would be required to fix that problem. As to the solution, if you check the article, the dv1000 is one of the models with the tabbed keyboard that comes out. Flip that down and you have access to the CPU innards underneath that metal plate. Note that you may have to remove the button panel at the top (it snaps out) to remove the metal plate. It may take some finagling to get the CPU's HSF unit out of there, but you should have the best access from there.

Lightbulb Instructions - replace fan

Here are the instructions I found for my HP dv1420us - it has step by step for the fan and heatsink. I would think a dv1000 and dv1420 aren't all that different. If they are then you should check the HP support website and find the one for your specific model.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00400901.pdf

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Volsfanga; 12-08-2006 at 06:16 PM.

I'd say your fan needs replacing - mine was making a noise for a week or two and died this week. I'm trying to find a replacement - looks like they run anywhere from $69 US to $120 US.

By the way - the link I posted above is a "Maintenance and Service Guide" for a "HP Pavilion dv1400 Notebook, HP Compaq nx4820 Notebook, Compaq Presario V2400 Notebook".

According to the Service guide you will have to remove 5 items (see section 5)...
    Optical drive
    Switch cover
    Keyboard
    Display assembly
    Base enclosure

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Volsfanga; 12-08-2006 at 06:16 PM.

I believe the fan from my DV1440US is dying too.
    Two weeks ago it starts to make a strange noise (like a piece of paper touching the blades). The noise only happened after the computer runs for more than a half hour. When turn on the computer, the fan runs normal. The funny thing is, when the noise starts, if I flip down the notebook (screen down) the noise stops.

Yesterday my notebook shutdown, than I noticed it's too hot! I turned it on again, and notice the fan wasn’t spinning (but was making a strange noise, like a fly or a electric noise, very low).

I start search for a replacement. eBay only have refurbished ones. The store NotebookParts.com has "New-Pull" one (whatever is this!). Anybody recommend this store?

Thanks in advance.

the hypothesis.. tested!

Hi,

Me and my brother had been brainstorming this one for quite a while, and could not come up with a solution. However, we hypothesized that the heat from the cpu may cause problems and deformations to the (low quality) plastic design of the hp engineers.

Anyway, we further hypothesized that the problem was the fact that the plastic somewhat was experiencing friction and that this was causing the fan to "get stuck" the high pitched noise originates from the motor stalling because of a too low current being supplied to the motor. Indeed, under normal operating conditions the current is sufficient, but now with the hypothetical frictional force on the motor, it is not sufficient.

So we cracked her open, and disassembled the fan & heatsink unit. And sure enough, as we turned the fan, there was a "frictional area;" a part of the fans "trajectory" where it was not able to run smoothly. Our solution to this was to discover the source of this frictions and eliminate it.

After some time, we discovered that the source of the friction comes from the fan casing itself. For some reason the fan had gotten stuck at a diagonal setting, thus subjecting it to friction for part of the rotation. It was then solved by gently nudging the fan up from the bottom with a small flathead screwdriver. Upon testing, it was found that the fan was running smoothly, and no further heat problems are known at this time.

If you have any questions/comments, please send me a personal message.

Thank you,

Erik Beerepoot

Quote Originally Posted by Erik006 View Post
    However, we hypothesized that the heat from the cpu may cause problems and deformations to the (low quality) plastic design of the hp engineers.
    Nope, just cheap, low quality fans, with cheap, low quality bearings...

The skewed fan blades are very typical where the end product is not monitored for things like run out. The casing, even cheap plastic is easier to make uniform and still hold its shape...the fan axle running true is a bit harder to achieve and the slightest wear in the bearings tends to allow enough wobble for the blades to hit the shroud...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

To bad the HP dv1000 doesnt allow SpeedFan to control the fan. I have a similar problem and notice my CPU was going to upwards of 60deg C regularly, with the fan only able to lower down to about 51deg C. Likewise the 100GB HDD going to about 41deg C.

Today a few small chips burned out close to the DVD... not good

Thumbs up Tahnk You So Much!

Quote Originally Posted by Volsfanga View Post
    Here are the instructions I found for my HP dv1420us - it has step by step for the fan and heatsink. I would think a dv1000 and dv1420 aren't all that different. If they are then you should check the HP support website and find the one for your specific model.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00400901.pdf

Hope this helps
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I followed the manual for my hp dv1540ca, which overheated and turned off very easyly and, even it was not very easy (but possible thanks to this manual) I finally got to clean the fan and the heat sink. At first, ii seemed to be pretty clean, but then I found a huge mass of dust hidden inside!! I cleaned it and mounted everthing back and, it worked!! I felt so proud

Than you again

HP Fan Part Number

I took my HP DV1000 apart and got the fan out. Does anyone know the part number so I can purchase a new fan? Thanks

Thanks for the manual and this thread. The fan on my dv1000 got very loud recently. I thought it was dying. I took out the fan manually spun it. No problem. Then I looked inside the heatsink housing and found it totally blocked with dust and small filiment particles. After picking it out, the dustball was a little less then an inch diameter. After assembling, it was much quieter, not to mention running less because the airflow was back at 100%. So if your going to work on the fan, three more screws takes off the heatsink and you can clean that while you're at it.

Thread Information