Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows 2000 can not be installed.

Windows 2000 can not be installed.

The old computer I have is Pentium III 667 MHz. RAM 128MB, Video Card ATI Technologies Rage 128 GL AGP 2x, Mainboard ASUS, BIOS Award Version (ASUS P3V4X ACP) BIOS Revision 1006 Beta 002.

My first attempt to clean installation of win2000 (after partitioning the hard drive) has failed. I then tried to upgrade it from windows 98SE. This also failed. The windows 2000 hard and software compatibility test shows that there is nothing that is incompatible. In both cases the computer stops to function when it tries to install hardware like for e.g. mouse, keyboard…. What I see on the monitor is short broken lines only. Who can tell me what the failure is and how to solve it?

Thanks

I'm thinking of upgrading from Win98SE to Win2000 myself; where/how did you do the hardware/software compatibility test?

I'm surprised you had problems with a clean install.

What kind of partition were you attempting to install to?
    NTFS or FAT32?

"In both cases the computer stops to function when it tries to install hardware like for e.g. mouse, keyboard…."
    During the clean install, was there problems when the PC restarted after setting up the hardware?
    Did it freeze?

"What I see on the monitor is short broken lines only"
    When is this?
    During the boot into Windows, or once into Windows?
    What happens if you boot to safe mode?

Most likely thing is a corrupted or damaged CDROM since installing Win2K is probably one of the most straightforward of all the OSes. I wouldn't bother partitioning in advance - just wipe the drive or delete all the partitions, stick in the CD and let the disk management of the installation do any partitioning etc.

If it fails again you could try installing directly from the hard drive by first creating a FAT partition and then copying the i386 folder from the CD to this partition from a dos boot floppy diskette with CDROM support. Then from the same floppy first run smartdrv if you have it on the floppy to speed up any copying and then run C:\i386\winnt where C: would be the FAT partition you created earlier.

This generally gives a smoother and faster installation once it begins and if the installation files all copied over correctly to the hard drive it is likely they are OK.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander
    "where/how did you do the hardware/software compatibility test?"
    During upgrading win2000 makes the test itself.

"I'm surprised you had problems with a clean install.
    What kind of partition were you attempting to install to? NTFS or FAT32?"
    "[/QUOTE] After deleting all earlier partitions i created new ones and formatted with NTFS.

"During the clean install, was there problems when the PC restarted after setting up the hardware? Did it freeze?"
    Everything such as coping files to hardware went well. the computer restarted and then windows. Then started the message that says "Please wait until win2000 looks for hardware like keyboard, mouse... and install them."

"What I see on the monitor is short broken lines only
    When is this? During the boot into Windows, or once into Windows?
    "
    The upper process went further (almost up to the 50% of the blue process indicating bar)but not to the end. And now the display on the monitor turned to sets of short broken lines.

"What happens if you boot to safe mode?""
    I could not boot to safe mode as the system is not properly installed and the computer no more reacts.
    At the end i installed win98SE again and works perfectly. Interestingly this same problem appears on another Computer with the exactly same hardware parts.

"Please wait until win2000 looks for hardware like keyboard, mouse... and install them"
    That's odd.
    The mouse and keyboard should have been set up for use during the installation.
    I wonder if the Win2000 installation program was unable to find suitable Win2000 drivers for the mouse and keyboard?
    Did the install of mouse and keyboard during Startup succeed?

"the display on the monitor turned to sets of short broken lines"
    It's like the video driver installed is a poor match for the video card.
    Or else it's mis-configured.
    That's why I wondered if it would display ok in Safe Mode using a basic video driver.

"At the end i installed win98SE again and works perfectly"
    Seems like the hardware isn't compatible with Win 2000, or at least Win 2000 doesn't include suitable drivers for at least the most vital items.
    I wonder what would happen if you installed Win 2000 with only the bare minimum of vital hardware connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander
    "I wonder if the Win2000 installation program was unable to find suitable Win2000 drivers for the mouse and keyboard?"
    The mouse and the monitor worked perfectly till this moment. I could follow the installation steps up to this time.

"The mouse and keyboard should have been set up for use during the installation. I wonder if the Win2000 installation program was unable to find suitable Win2000 drivers for the mouse and keyboard?"
    I think this is a routine process. i do not think that the mouse and the monitor will be installed at this very moment. I see this message every time I install ops.

"Did the install of mouse and keyboard during Startup succeed?
    "
    Of course at startup this two devices worked perfectly.

"..at least Win 2000 doesn't include suitable drivers for at least the most vital items."
    I think this must be the most plausible. But which items?

"The mouse and the monitor worked perfectly till this moment"
    This fact is a significant clue.
    I think I misunderstood before. Was "Please wait until win2000 looks for hardware like keyboard, mouse... and install them" displayed during the installation of Windows at the stage when the installation program is detecting connected hardware and installing Win2000 drivers to suit?
    In which case it seems that Win2000 drivers for some items of your hardware could not be found[, or else incorrect drivers were installed by Win2000].

"I think this must be the most plausible. But which items?"
    Disconnect all but vital items of hardware, then install Win2000.
    Then see if there are any problems when booting and running Win2000.
    Then add one new item of hardware and boot Win2000 and help it to install the driver for that item, then see if there are any problems booting or running Win2000.
    Then add a 2nd item of hardware etc....
    Eventually you may hit problems after a new item and its driver has been added.

You may need a bios upgrade to install Windows 2000 on a PC of this vintage. Please check with the PC manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer. I know when I installed Win2K on my Acer P-III 667, I had to upgrade the bios first.

Since you appear to be having problems with basic Bios functionality, e.g. keyboard and mouse, that's where I would start.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

WinXP is not a PlugAndPlay OS so:

The Plug and Play operating system settings in the computer's BIOS should not affect how Windows handles the hardware in general. However, Microsoft recommends that you set this setting to "No" or "Disabled" in the computer's BIOS. For information about viewing or modifying your computer's BIOS settings, consult your computer's documentation or manufacturer.
    Taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252420

Are you sure there are no corrupt files on the Win2K installation CD??
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski
    "Are you sure there are no corrupt files on the Win2K installation CD??"
    I have tried another (a second) Win2k installation CD.

Now I know where the problem lies. It is the video card that causes the failure.
    After changing the video card the installation goes successfully. The question is now is there the slightest chance to use the mentioned video card under windows 2000??? I mean whether there is some sort of file or way to install it before i start windows 2000 setup.

The driver files for your Video Card ATI Technologies Rage 128 GL AGP are included on the Win2000 installation CD as listed HERE.

Oops, put the term Rage 128 GL AGP in the search box to get to this info...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sylvander; 05-02-2006 at 03:01 PM.

With this list below it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information