Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: My Combo Drive won't recognize CDs anymore...

My Combo Drive won't recognize CDs anymore...

Actually, this problem has been here for more than a year now - I just remembered it now.

So back then, my Combo Drive, a Samsung SM-348B, suddenly wouldn't accept CDs anymore. Can't read, can't write nothing. The DVD functionality was still working, but I would like to know the possible reasons why CDs won't work anymore.

Thanks.
    "An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bull****."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    "Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."
    "It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory."
    - General George Patton

Dirty lens - Try using a recomended lens cleaner to see if it helps
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Already tried that before. Still only read DVDs.
    "An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bull****."
    "It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory."
    - General George Patton

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    You might want to consider a firmware update:

http://www.samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=231178&type=CD-RW+%2f+COMBO&typecode=14&subtype=CD-RW+(Half-Height)&subtypecode=&cmssubtypecode=1401&model=SM-348B&filetype=FM&language=

Please not the readme file with instructions on how to firmware update. A mistake in following the directions exactly could result in your drive being disabled permanently...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

@ Whyzman: Already tried that before. Still didn't work.

@ Sylvander: Didn't work as well >.>

On the other hand, I got a new DVD Writer two days ago, so now I can do CD-to-CD and DVD-to-DVD burning... thanks for all the help, guys.
    - General George Patton

Aaaah......, so it was a hardware problem.

Good to hear things are back up and running.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Yep, thanks for letting us know the outcome! Happy DVDing
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

CD issues on DVD Player

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I stumbled upon this trying to solve the exact same problem. I have good news!

If you are experiencing issues reading and writing CDs on a DVD player (like I am), but DVD read and write functionality is ok, you might have a hardware problem.

To check and see if you have a hardware problem (that strangely only affects CDs), try rebooting your computer with a Windows XP installation CD-ROM. (Make sure booting from the CD drive is the first option in your bios)

If you fail to boot from the CD, it's a hardware problem. Now, try booting a Windows XP installation DVD. If that works, you've determined that your drive strangely just can't use CD's any more.

You need a new drive! (How is that good news?!) Because if you perform this check first, it saves you hours of troubleshooting and forum crawling. Hope this helps!

-Taku

Taku,
    The original poster already replied that it was a hardware problem and replacing the drive took care of the issue last year.

Thread Information