Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I need an easy programming language...

I need an easy programming language...

Hi all.

I need a simple, reasonably easy programming language, to write a dedicated database software in.

The software is essentially no more then a "Look-up table" which listens for data on the COM port, and then looks up that data in the table, and outputs a pre-programmed message(on a 2nd COM port).

Really needs to be able to run in DOS, but Win95-98 OK.
    Me and XP not suitable - they are too hungry for resources.

I'm currently looking at Python - what are you programmers here using for your programming languages?

I don't really want to spend months learning a very complicated language, which is why Python appeals - can anyone here suggest anything else?

Thanks!
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Just an update...

I think I have found an easier language then Python.
    It's called Euphoria and can work in DOS, Windows & Linux.

The basic package is free, and uses a RTE(Run-time engine) to execute your source code, but you can buy utilities which compile the program with a back-end engine to make an .exe file that you can share with others.

This is now the language I am going to study...
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Or try good old Basic

I took a good look at BASIC and GW-BASIC for DOS.

But I prefer a language, where you can compile the source with a runtime-engine of some kind, to create a self-executing file - to protect your source code. BASIC and GW-BASIC are(generally speaking) open-source programmers - at least the BASIC/GW-BASIC programs I have seen can all easily be loaded and the code tinkered with.

Euphoria seems very good - about half way through the huge manual!!!

I've used QUICKBASIC 4.5 for years. I know it runs under DOS and WIN95. It has a compiler as part of the package which results in an .exe and thus does not give away the source code and runs as a standalone. I don't remember the cost but I think it was under $50.

Cool. Thanks.
    Will check this out too.
    (as soon as I find it - I will google for it)

Found it.

Also got version 7.1; will check them both out.
    4.5 would seem to be the favourite...

Thanks for the name of that language.

Thread Information