Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: wireless network icon not showing up in network connections

wireless network icon not showing up in network connections

Hello all,

I think that this is a re-occuring theme, however, I can't find a definitive answer when I search for it on google or on this site.
    My problem: I have a dell Dimension Desktop (i wanna say 4600, but i don't know) that has a Linksys Wireless Adapter installed in it from several years ago. Recently, I had to "wipe" my computer, on the advice of one of my friends, who said that it was having serious difficulties functioning. In the process of doing so, however, apparently I "wiped" whatever is need to connect to the internet via my wireless home network. The network is fine (I am using it now on a different home computer), however, my dell just doesn't seem to recognize that there is such a thing as wireless.

In Network Conections, the only thing that shows up is the LAN network, and no wireless.

Is there any advice you can give on this topic? it would be greatly appreciated~!~! thanks a million!

Welcome to forums.

Please tell us what OS you are running.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Windows XP Professional Edition.
    Thanks.

Get the driver from the Linksys web site or the CD that came with the device. Remove all references from the item in device manager and re-boot. The system should detect the item at startup and ask for the driver. You should be good to go from there.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

I'm not sure I fully understand ClassicSoftware.
    I uninstalled my ethernet controller in the device manager. I got rid of all of the earlier versions of the Linksys software that I downloaded from the site (i've tried that trick several times, always to no avail).
    I then re-installed the driver for my wireless card. And restarted my computer, however, there is still no wireless network icon that appears in the network connection tab.
    Is there anything I am doing wrong? or perhaps something else we could try?

Thanks for everythin!

What shows up in Device Manager under Network Adapters....

A.J. Heschel

only my land line. It says something to the effect of "Intel Pro Network Connection". But this is the connection i use when i'm not using the wireless.
    Any ideas?

There are no yellow !? The system is not detecting your wireless card. Try a different slot and it should detect your card on start-up and ask for the driver.

A.J. Heschel

i switched it with the slot above it, but when i turned it on, it didn't say anything different.
    The wireless adapter has a green light on it that is illuminated, does this mean anything?

You still have not said if there are any conflicts in device manager. If the card does not get detected at boot there is something wrong with the card or with the PC.

A.J. Heschel

Quote Originally Posted by moser2006 View Post
    i switched it with the slot above it, but when i turned it on, it didn't say anything different.
    The wireless adapter has a green light on it that is illuminated, does this mean anything?
    Having the Green Light illuminated, means its working fine. For this, just connect to your wireless network via your Linksys Wireless Software(double-clicking on the icon) > Site Survey > Connecting to your network

Thread Information