Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How-to remove system tray items - startup

How-to remove system tray items - startup

Simply speaking, there are numerous items such as AOL IM, Quicktime, etc., etc. that are always in my system tray everytime I start my system up. I do not want to delete these, I just want to set my system where it does not boot these on startup, thus negating the need for me to manually go to the sys tray, right click, and exit on every startup. I am sure this is very simple but I would greatly appreciate any instruction on this matter. Thank you in advance, you guys are the best at helping me out with stuff on this machine. Peace.

-t. bowen

Moved out of PC World to a more appropriate forum.
    What OS are you using?

Sorry about that, and I appreciate you doing that for me.

OS: I am currently using XP Pro w/ Service Pack 2, if that matters.

Download a free copy of Startup Control Panel, install it and use it to control which programs are loaded at Startup.

Go to RUN and type MSCONFIG and hit enter.
    Next go to the START tab at the top of the bax that opens.
    Here you will see alist of all the items that run a startup. DE-select (take tick out) the ones you don't want to run at start-up, Reboot computer.

There are some items there that are essential so be careful. Do them one at a time until you know what is what.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Each of those items is likely to have a switch inside the program to stop it from loading at Startup... If you simply turn them off using msconfig or some other tool, they may start up again after the next time they are used... It will work more effectively to open the program, look for "Preferences" or "Options" or something similar and then look for the switch to load at Startup... Turn it off in the program and it is less likely that it will ever try to load again...

Also, running msconfig all of the time takes resources at Startup and slows you boot as well as possibly slowing your system a bit all of the time... I would avoid using Selective Startup if at all possible...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

BUDFRED
    I have used MSCONFIG since early days of Win98 (original) and never had problems with it. When a program is de-selcted here I have never seen it re-start by its-self afterwards. There are some programs that do not have the abillity to disable RUN at START-UP and so therefor MSCONFIG needs to be run. In a case like this you must use SELECTIVE START-UP (which is automatically selected when you make a change int he start tab) If there is a slow down surely the affect on speed is minimal.

Please correct me (for my own benifit) if I am wrong.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieK
    BUDFRED
    I have used MSCONFIG since early days of Win98 (original) and never had problems with it. When a program is de-selcted here I have never seen it re-start by its-self afterwards. There are some programs that do not have the abillity to disable RUN at START-UP and so therefor MSCONFIG needs to be run. In a case like this you must use SELECTIVE START-UP (which is automatically selected when you make a change int he start tab) If there is a slow down surely the affect on speed is minimal.

Please correct me (for my own benifit) if I am wrong.
    msconfig does take resources to run in Selective Startup and there are more effective ways to remove programs from Startup so that you don't need to use msconfig... In addition to fixing the relevant items in HJT, which tends to be permanent, there are programs like the one Sylvander mentions that allow more direct control... Spybot offers the option to selectively disable Startup items as well... While the effect of using Selective Startup would be only noticeable to those who are constantly tweaking for speed, it still is unnecessary and takes room in RAM to maintain itself...

msconfig also poses a problem when dealing with malware since it can mask the presence of malware and that makes it harder for people like me to find and fix...

I used to run in Selective Startup all of the time, but as I have learned more about how it works, I now either disable the Startup in the program or I kill the item with HJT...

Thanks for the clarification Budfred
    I do have a copy of Startup Control Panel but have not gotten round to installing it. Partly due to laziness and partly due to the thought that it was only going to duplicate and existing facillity. I will install it and start using it.
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

"LoadQM" is the only item I cannot get "Startup Control Panel" to eliminate.

No matter what I do it keeps reappearing on the Startup list and running in the background, and yet I believe it's unnecessary.

Know anything about it; whether it's ok to eliminate, and how to do it?

msconfig

Quote Originally Posted by tbowen
    Simply speaking, there are numerous items such as AOL IM, Quicktime, etc., etc. that are always in my system tray everytime I start my system up. I do not want to delete these, I just want to set my system where it does not boot these on startup, thus negating the need for me to manually go to the sys tray, right click, and exit on every startup. I am sure this is very simple but I would greatly appreciate any instruction on this matter. Thank you in advance, you guys are the best at helping me out with stuff on this machine. Peace.

-t. bowen
    I too have used msconfig for years and continue to do so.
    Here is a site that will tell you which programs to uncheck:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    trapper

I believe you can permanently fix LoadQM with HJT, but then MSN may not work properly... I usually don't bother with it...

Order of preference for stopping items from loading:

1. Use the program istelf to turn it off. Many do offer some sort of option to do so.

2. Use a dedicated "Start up" controller. Many allow you the option to either have the items you don't want readily available, in case you do one for a special purpose or some even allow 'profiles'...you want to do some video editing or intense gaming...everything is off...that type thing.

3. HJT/registry editing. HJT can overlap with #2 and manually removing the items from the registry can be a downright pain in the anatomy...

4. MsConfig...even MS says that it is only for temporary use.

And some items...LoadQM comes to mind...it jsut isn't worth it if you actually ever use the program it is tied to. Either the program will refuse to work at all until you turn the start up back on...or it will automatically do so whenever you manually run the program, with no option not to. So, if you ever use the program, you need to bite the bullet and just let the startup alone.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

"I usually don't bother with it..."
    I'll leave my copy alone then.

Thanks.

Thread Information